Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:34 pm 

Hey guys!

So I was thinking of ordering a Confidence boost kit. I've made pedals before, but not with a PCB, so I wanted to try my hand at a simple PCB before moving on to projects that cost more (and I like the idea of the boost anyway). However I did want to give myself a few more capabilities with this pedal than with just a simple volume boost.

I've read (on this forum) that you can change the treble by swapping out the input capacitor. So, if a different capacitor gives a different treble-bass ratio, I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to change the schematic a bit to accommodate this. Bear with me on this, because I don't know what kind of capacitor would give more/less bass/treble than the one that the kit comes with.

Here is my idea: split the input when it comes to the input cap, and run it through two capacitors (one tailored to high bass, one to high treble) and pair each one with a separate pot before rejoining them. Thus you have one channel that is high bass, one channel that is high treble, and the ability to adjust the ratio with a few pots.

Is this a good idea? Would it work? What size pots/caps would I need to accommodate this? Any/all feedback is welcome!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:48 pm 

Yes, it's possible, although it's a fairly advanced mod. You can do something like splice in a fender or color sound overdriver tone stack in there. I recommend building it stock first, though; then if you get it working and still want the tonestack, we'll work up a diagram.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:56 pm 

Morgan wrote:
Yes, it's possible, although it's a fairly advanced mod. You can do something like splice in a fender or color sound overdriver tone stack in there. I recommend building it stock first, though; then if you get it working and still want the tonestack, we'll work up a diagram.

Okay, thanks! Just for grins, what pots or caps do you think might make this work? I'm not looking for anything necessarily specific, just a ballpark to shoot for. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:27 pm 

You either splice in a tonestack consisting of 2 pots and 3 or 4 resistors and caps right before the volume control, or you put an input cap blend in as a bass control in place of the input cap and put a treble control right before the volume control.