Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:19 am 

[very sorry for multiple message, I'm under very bad internet connection.. mods please keep this one only and accept my apologize]

Hi everyone,

I've just finished a FET Preamp pedal, the Boss FA-1 clone. It's not my first build, I've made
many others BYOC kits including an analog delay and a Large Beaver (plus a couple of tube
amps from scratch) all working perfectly.

I'm rather sure the build has been made properly, checked any single component twice
and soldered with a Lafayette soldering station at 390° celsius, all soldering appears to
be very well done and shine.

Unfortunately it doesn't work properly: led works, bypass also is working but when the pedal
is switched on, the global volume decreases with no effect on guitar tone, the volume control seems
to (slightly) work backwards eq controls do not work at all.

I've re-checked the soldering and tried to swap the IC but the result never changes.

Here's a few pics.

I would be grateful if someone could share a guess...

PCB components side

PCB solder side
Thanks a lot

Fabio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:17 am 

I agree that everything is properly placed and that the soldering looks very good. One thing to check is to be sure that the two op amps are both properly oriented in their sockets--they mount in opposite orientations. The wiring is apparently fine, since you get signal in both bypassed and engaged modes.

Other than that, my guess would be that one of your op amps is bad. We've seen several reports of "DOA" Hitachi op amps in this pedal. Contact BYOC at sales@buildyourownclone.com and request a replacement.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:25 am 

I would suggest putting together a signal probe (what I like to refer to as a glorified capacitor) to check the op-amps for signal output.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:50 am 

thank you guys!

yes the two op amps should be properly oriented, pin #1 are in opposite position one toward the top and the other toward the bottom of the pcb. The instruction shows a square red socket pin there...

I will try the audio probe method and then approach the byoc customer service.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:30 am 

Hi there everyone!

I've got the replacement Op Amps from BYOC for free and finished the pedal today.

Guys... I'm astonished... I admit I also have a Retro Sonic preamp which costs nearly 200 bucks but this BYOC is completely a different animal... and at a totally different price!

Fell in love with this pedal, I do warmly recommend it to anyone is bungling with the edge-like sounds like me...

Fabio