Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 am 

Hi, I built the germanium boost this weekend and it works on 9v power supply but not on battery.

I tried both fresh Heavy Duty and Alkaline batteries with the same result: No sound, no LED and battery gets hot. So it seems like a short but strange that I get it on battery only? I de-soldered and re-soldered both the battery snap and the 3PDT switch with no change. Also, tests were done with back cover off and I saw no obvious places that it might be shorting on the enclosure...

I'm sure you'll want pics which I can upload this evening unless its something obvious/easy that I'm overlooking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:13 am 

typically, if one source of power works and the other doesn't, the issue will be in the AC adapter wiring. Be sure you have that correct.

Upload the pics when you get a chance so we can get some eyes on it as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:12 pm 

schilesjr wrote:
....and battery gets hot.

That's diagnostic of a power short to ground. It's not surprising that the pedal might work fine on a DC adapter, since plugging an adapter into the DC jack disconnects the battery circuit.

I would suggest inspecting the eyelets and traces for the battery + and - on both sides of the PCB. The most likely cause is a solder bridge or wire strand between the + and - sides. Keep in mind that it only takes a hair's breadth of contact to cause a short, so inspect those areas VERY carefully. You can further confirm that this is the problem by using a multimeter to measure for continuity between the + and - snaps on the battery adapter (with no battery connected). Be sure that there isn't an adapter plug in the DC jack when you do this test. If it shows continuity, disconnect one or the other sides of the battery adapter from the PCB. Test again; if you still get continuity, it's a defective battery adapter. If there's no continuity, the problem is on the PCB or in the DC jack.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:13 pm 

Thank you both! I will check the jack and solder points.

Separately (but related), if I plan on using battery exclusively can the jack be disconnected or does the circuit still need the connections?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:49 pm 

schilesjr wrote:
...if I plan on using battery exclusively can the jack be disconnected or does the circuit still need the connections?

The battery connection goes through the DC jack. However, you can work around this by jumpering together the two + eyelets at the top of the PCB, and then leave the DC jack out or unconnected.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:57 am 

Awesome - thanks for that info.

Under a magnifying glass i found one loose thread of stranded bridging the Batt+ and - solder points. Removed and now operating as it should. Great learning experience about double-checking the small things!