Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:10 am 

Hello everybody,

I just finished my first build, the Confidence Boost, in preparation for building more pedals, starting with the classic compressor.
It seems to work ALMOST correctly. The circuit is a bit more "overdrive" than "clean boost" than I expected, but that seems normal, judging from other posts.

However, for some mysterious reason, the gain trim pot is working backwards. As you turn it up, the gain actually goes down. Any thoughts about that?
When looking at the circuit, it almost seems like it is designed to do this, with the wiper that goes to the output jack sweeping towards ground when you turn it up. I suspect I'm reading it incorrectly.

I haven't been able to spot any errors when I look at the board. Here are some pictures:

Attachment:
IMG_6050.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_6054.jpg

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:24 am 

Does it matter? It's not an exterior control pot--set it & forget it, as they say. As long as it controls the output volume, you should be all set. And there's no other way to install that trimpot, so that must be the design--and looking at the schematic and PCB layout, it is.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:03 pm 

No, in practice this doesn't matter at all. But in order to boost my confidence, I want to make sure that I am able to assemble this simple circuit properly!

So you agree that it looks like it was designed to work like this? It seems a little strange - by drawing the traces a little differently, it could just as easily work the normal way round. Unless it is intended to have the trim pot rear-mounted?
Has anyone else built one, to confirm that this is normal?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:20 pm 

mathias wrote:
No, in practice this doesn't matter at all. But in order to boost my confidence, I want to make sure that I am able to assemble this simple circuit properly!

So you agree that it looks like it was designed to work like this? It seems a little strange - by drawing the traces a little differently, it could just as easily work the normal way round. Unless it is intended to have the trim pot rear-mounted?
Has anyone else built one, to confirm that this is normal?

Duhvoodoo man is a moderator. You can put an external pot on it, wire it backwards and put the whole thing in an enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:50 pm 

Mine works the same way. The trimpot is reversed. Also, mine adds a bit of dirt to my clean tone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:53 pm 

Great, thanks everybody!
Confidence restored! Now I'll move ahead to building the classic compressor. And I'm sure more later on.