Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 am 

I have built a few pedals which have turned out well, but my 27V boost has me a bit frustrated. Here are my symptoms, with the signal chain of guitar -> boost -> amp.

The LED works well. It lights up when the switch turns on, and goes off when the switch turns off.

When the switch is in bypass mode (LED off), the clean signal goes through just fine.

When the switch is on, I get no signal, but I a get a pulsing, heartbeat-like sound. The rate and volume of the heartbeat increases a bit when the volume knob is turned up, and the rate and volume decrease as I turn the volume knob down.

I have removed the circuit from the enclosure to take pictures, and I get the same symptoms when the circuit is removed from the enclosure.

Oddly, I had it working at one point when the circuit was removed from the enclosure, but once I re-installed it back into the enclosure, it returned to hearbeat mode. So that makes me wonder whether I have a bad joint somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:07 am 

Well, I reflowed the joints again, and now there is no sound at all when the switch is on, pulsing heartbeat or otherwise. I still great great clean sound when the switch is switched to bypass, though! The LED still comes on when the switch is on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:47 am 

Please post photos of the re-flowed soldering. From the looks of your previous photos I would say your soldering is the likely culprit. Pin 4 of IC2 is a good example. The solder joint looks like it isn’t making contact with the solder pad. Pin 7 also looks suspect. Several other solder joints in your build look like blobs of solder rather than having a good conical shape to them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:09 pm 

yeah, that solder job needed some help. but for what it's worth, every time I've had that "heartbeat" sound in a pedal it's been due to a short or reverse polarity on the power supply. It's the sound of the wall wart charging up capacitors, being shorted by the polarity protection diode, shutting off automatically, then restarting. I know my 1-spot supplies have a nice, steady, whooshing tick. If you've got a multimeter, check for a short from 9V to ground, or from the charge pump's output to ground.