Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:48 am 

I know there are PCBs like the ESV FF that are convertible between NPN and PNP... but the Ge Boost kit does not have that

But, I have a few NPN germaniums that need a home and I thought an NPN Rangemaster would be a good small project.

On one hand, I would convert the kit to NPN by just reversing battery and DC jack hookups, then also reverse electrolytic cap and LED....

BUT, would I need some creative jumpers since now the switch and resistor end up on the "wrong ends" of the LED.

Pretty sure on the ESV fuss conversion to NPN the jumpers are separate from LED part of the circuit, right?

As I am rethinking again, I could cut the traces on the PCB that hook to LED and resistor and "reverse-reverse" power that with jumpers... but now I am taking a very simple project and making it more complicated than it should be....

BUT, at any rate, am I correct in my thought process? Maybe I should source a PCB made for what I want instead of driving myself crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Unclesixer wrote:
Maybe I should source a PCB made for what I want instead of driving myself crazy.

Yes, probably. The BYOC Ge Boost uses a PNP transistor, but has a negative ground. So it's a little more complicated than simply reversing the polarity of your DC jack.

I personally wouldn't even bother with a PCB. There are so few parts, it really wouldn't be that hard to just point-to-point wire everything directly to the jacks, switches, and pot. But I understand that might not be for everyone. If you feel you need a PCB, then definitely go that route.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:55 am 

Yeah, I agree with Keith. I'd just built this on vero. If you haven't done it before, it's a good circuit to start with.

Example:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 pm 

Thanks, guys. I would like to build something point-to-point finally, but I like the switchable capacitor option in the BYOC PCB as well as the bias trimpot and I don't know if I have the skills to do all that point to point without more frustration than it is worth ;)

Gonna think on it a bit more for now. As it is I have a couple too many irons in the fire anyhow with some unfinished projects... but the feedback is appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:52 pm 

byoc wrote:
Unclesixer wrote:
Maybe I should source a PCB made for what I want instead of driving myself crazy.

Yes, probably. The BYOC Ge Boost uses a PNP transistor, but has a negative ground.

Oh, yeah... that just sank in... I remember reading about the negative ground in the kit and had forgotten about that... yeah, I would be reversing and re-reversing and re-re-reversing the intended engineering of that PCB.... I am getting a headache just trying to wrap my head around that.