Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:46 am 

EDIT: The build instructions say to remove the bottom nut of the stomp switch when you install it. Do NOT do this. Doing so may result in you pulling the threaded bushing out of the switch's body when you torque the other nut down. If the switch isn't high enough to engage the wah pedal build up the felt pad on the under side of the treadle instead.

The wah's build instructions show the stomp switch wiring like this, using six of the footswitch's nine lugs:

I do not recommend using this method. Since the circuit doesn't use pull down resistors it is highly likely that you will get turn ON pops when you actuate the stomp switch. I recommend using this method which shorts the PCB's input to ground in bypass mode instead:

Here's the diagram to use if you want to add a status LED:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:05 pm 

Would this have any effect on the wah's output level while in bypass mode? My wah (built last night) sounds fine when on and everything seems to be working correctly, but it is clearly just a hair quieter than when I plug directly into my amp. This is especially noticeable in bypass mode as I think that I can use the output buffer to get up to where I need when the effect is on. I haven't noticed any pops when I turn the effect on, just a slight volume drop relative to plugging directly in.

Also, while I don't have pics, I have resoldered all the connections in the bypass chain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:54 pm 

There shouldn't be any level loss. Poor soldering or a flaky switch could possibly cause it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:47 pm 

It's also possible that when the wah is engaged it boosts the signal a bit, so that makes it seem like bypass is quieter. Easy to test: play with pedal in bypass, then connect directly to your amp and see if there's a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:57 pm 

That's the problem...I'm playing through it in bypass and then plugging straight in. definitely a loss of signal. I'm not sure what to do other than resolder the wires again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:12 pm 

Yeah, there's a build problem somewhere. Touching up the solder joints is a great first step...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 pm 

I'm working on getting some pics up this afternoon. Having a tough time getting a shot without too much flash. One more thing, when I unplug the cable from the pedal's input, it makes a very loud buzzing sound as though I was touching the tip of a cable into a piece of metal. Could there be a grounding problem somewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:00 pm 

This may sound like a stupid question, but where should I solder the ground connection to?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 pm 
The circuit ground should go to the tag on the input jack that connects to the sleeve / mounting bush of the jack. This in turn should make connection to the metal shell of the Wah because the bush is bolted to it by the sockets nut.

The buzz makes it seems as though you have the ground and battery switch connections reversed, certainly something is not right with the grounding.

Volume loss may be because the Wah is loading the guitar signal. The classic wah circuit has a relatively low input impedance. And it depends were you set the 'gain' trimmer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm 

Hi everyone! So I built my byoc wah several years ago (5 years maybe?) and love it. It was beginning to show some age, it had a scratchy pot and some other noises that I've since fixed thanks to this forum. But I saw this post about fixing the pop that occurs when I turn on the wah and was hoping someone could clear up a couple things for me and potentially anyone else reading this. In the wah instructions (http://buildyourownclone.com/wahinstructions.pdf) it has the 1 lug (or really the 9 lug) wired to the pcb output, 2 (8) wired to the out jack, 4 (6) to the pcb input, and 5 to the input jack. This is different from the diagram Stephen originally posted here where he has 1 and 2 going to inputs and 4 and 5 going to outputs. Am I reading this right so far? How should I proceed? Should I change my wiring to match what Stephen posted? Should I just switch my pcb input wire and input jack wire (4 and 5 for me) and add the jumper between 3 and 4 (instead of 1 and 6)?

I apologize if I'm missing something obvious. I'm ok with a soldering iron, I just lack the true knowledge in electronics to figure some things out on my own. That's why byoc has been good to me, those nice step by step instructions!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 am 

Wire the stomp switch as per the diagram below. "From Input" comes from the input jack's tip. "To PCB input" goes to the input of the circuit board. "From PCB output" comes from the circuit board's output. "To output" goes to the output jack's tip. The solder lug labeled "Ground" goes to the sleeve lug of the input jack.
Attachment:
p001.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm 

Ok. Thank you Stephen!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:50 pm 

jonnn wrote:
Hi everyone! So I built my byoc wah several years ago (5 years maybe?) and love it. It was beginning to show some age, it had a scratchy pot and some other noises that I've since fixed thanks to this forum. But I saw this post about fixing the pop that occurs when I turn on the wah and was hoping someone could clear up a couple things for me and potentially anyone else reading this. In the wah instructions (http://buildyourownclone.com/wahinstructions.pdf) it has the 1 lug (or really the 9 lug) wired to the pcb output, 2 (8) wired to the out jack, 4 (6) to the pcb input, and 5 to the input jack. This is different from the diagram Stephen originally posted here where he has 1 and 2 going to inputs and 4 and 5 going to outputs. Am I reading this right so far? How should I proceed? Should I change my wiring to match what Stephen posted? Should I just switch my pcb input wire and input jack wire (4 and 5 for me) and add the jumper between 3 and 4 (instead of 1 and 6)?

I apologize if I'm missing something obvious. I'm ok with a soldering iron, I just lack the true knowledge in electronics to figure some things out on my own. That's why byoc has been good to me, those nice step by step instructions!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I had to think it through for a while because for newbies like us it's not as obvious. If you had the same problem as me, you weren't sure about the diagram layout with the differences between the DPDT and the 3PDT diagram in the instructions. Well, it turns out that each column of lugs in a 3dpt switch is completely independent of each other, so you can wire up whatever 2 columns you want with a dpdt diagram and just omit whichever 3rd column you want.

Hope that clarifies confusion for someone out there who had the same conundrum as me, translating a dpdt diagram to 3pdt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 am 

Could someone post a finished picture of the inside of the Wah with this corrected stomp switch wiring?

Want to check my work :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:49 pm 

This thread is super old, so no idea if I will get replies.

But I can't see any of the pictures in this thread. Can someone repost?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:01 pm 

Bump

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:23 am 

Any chance you could get the pictures back up?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:46 am 

I'm not sure how those photos were originally hosted, but there's no way for us to get them back that I'm aware of. Stephen, the board moderator who created this thread, is not as active on the forum as he used to be, and he may not have the originals in any case.

You can read about mechanical bypass switching in detail in this excellent thread, also by Stephen. Perhaps it would help.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:15 am 

I was able to contact Stephen and though he didn't have those images himself, he was able to direct me to the analogous images in that same thread that Scott mentioned in the preceding post. I have edited Stephen's initial post above to incorporate those three images.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:03 am 

This is great! Thanks for your efforts! :D