Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:54 am 

I just finished my first BYOC build (Divided Octave) last night around midnight. The great news is that, as far I as can tell, all the functions worked the first time I turned it on!!

I do have a couple questions though.

1) Should I expect both LED's to be the same brightness when turned on? The Bass Only one is not as bright as the Effect LED. It's something I think anyone would notice, not me just nitpicking. I did the "Bass Only" volume mod by increasing the value of R8 (22K) to 220K with a .25 watt resistor.

2) When the Stabilize switch is turned on there is a noticable click or "chhk" at the beginning of each note. The pick attack portion of the note. It is not present with stabilize off. I'm curious if anyone else hears this on their builds and whether I need to investigate further.

I'll post some gut shots soon when I unbox it to do the artwork/clearcoat. Once I'm all done I'll post pics in the completed build section. I also plan on posting a link to my Inkscape svg file.

I had a great time building it and I love how it has a really cool old analog feel/sound. I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on building pedals..... now I just have to decide what to build next!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:53 am 

Re: your question on the LED's--

I believe the two LED's are intentionally set up for different intensities so that they can be differentiated at a glance. But if you'd like the "bass only" LED to be as bright as the effect/bypass LED, change R36 (the current-limiting resistor for the bass-only LED, located right next to it) from the stock 4.7 Kohm value to 1.0 Kohm, which is the rating for the CLR for the effect footswitch (R64). Conversely, you could change R64 to 4.7K, if you prefer the lower LED intensity. Refer to the labeled PCB diagram below for the locations of these two resistors.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:51 pm 

Thanks. I guess I need to order a misc bag of resistors so I can have some around to play around with. Do most of the pedals from BYOC use 1/8 watt or 1/4 watt? Other than size, does it really matter for effects pedals?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:15 pm 

Most of the kits use 1/4W resistors, which are easier to work with (and certainly easier to read the color bands!). The 1/8W resistors work fine for these low voltage pedals, but are only used in the kits with crowded layouts, where PCB space is at a premium.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:45 am 
It is probably not significant for pedals but I believe the physically larger resistors (of the same type) usually have lower inherent noise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:15 pm 

I know this is an old thread,
But I my Stabilize switch has the same click.
Anyone else?
Any remedy ?

Also, this was my first build as well. Super fun. Gonna do a Leeds Fuzz next.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:33 pm 

I'll add to this ancient thread that twofootskunk made up a spectacular Mu-tron-copy graphic for this pedal.