Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wah does not work
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:57 pm 

Hi I just finish building your wah wah kit ,and I looked over ,and ever thing look good I have build two other pedals before.I put the battery in plug in and the only sound it made was one very quick wah wimper sound,then nothing at all,when on in bypassed mode the guitar is clear no hiss no white noise .I built it to just the basic pdf instructions,but I did not put the dc 9v jack in I run all my effects on their own batterys.I cut about a inch off of the wires on the transistors and bent them so they would fit in .I tested with my multi meter in signal mode and I got a connection from the sleeve of the out to the sleeve of the in and the ring of the in.should they both be connected to the ground? I see you have a better way to hook up the on and off switch I will have to change that too.I would like to see a video on using the signal tester you have that we can make in your start up packed deal ,were do you hook up were? I would like to make one and know how to use it I think it would help me alot right now.I will send you picture if you give me a link or some adress to send them .Do you have a trouble shooting guide or a voltage chart on this wah wah pedal?

Post subject: Re: Wah does not work
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 am 
In almost all guitar effects the input jack doubles up as the power on / off switch.

The negative connection to the battery is wired to the ring terminal of the input jack so that when a mono 1/4 jack plug is inserted into the input jack socket the ring terminal is connected across, through the barrel of the jack plug, to the input jack socket sleeve.

The input jack socket sleeve is connected to circuit ground / 0v so the input jack plug barrel is connecting the battery negative to the 0v of the pedal circuit, allowing supply current to flow.

So if you conducted your continuity check with your meter when a jack plug was inserted into the input jack socket, then yes you would see the sleeves of the input and output jack socket connected together (through the metal case of the wah wah if nothing else) and also connected to the ring terminal of the input jack socket.

An audio signal probe is used by connecting the ground of the probe to the ground of the circuit under test. The tip of the probe is then touched to points along the audio path of the circuit under test. If at some point the audio signal drops a lot in level or disappears then you know that there is a fault just upstream of that test point.

Providing a voltage chart for the typical DC conditions in the BYOC Wah is a bit difficult because it has far too many adjustment trimmers. Assuming the trimmers are set to roughly the values of a 'standard' Vox wah the typical voltages (assuming a supply of exactly 9V, a higher supply voltage will yield slightly higher values) are -

Input transistor

C = 4.35V
B = 0.7V
E = 95mV

Output transistor

C = 8.67V
B = 3.86V
E = 3.24V

Post subject: Re: Wah does not work
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:21 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up for me Iam just starting out so Iam asking things to learn more and more.Does any body know of any good books on guitar effect pedal building.I could not figure out how to get my pictures on this form ,so I e-mail them to build your own clone contact page and keith helped me and I had the switch in wrong,change it around and the wah works great now I have to set the trim pots and I will be set.Thankyou