Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 am 

This is maybe build number 12 for me and it went really well other than soldering one of the large sockets in backwards, and have to de-solder 14 little legs on that guy and flip it around. That was tedious, but I inspected the area and the socket, and besides minor cosmetic stuff, nothing seemed worse for the wear when I finished. The effect works like a charm....all output jacks work, both footswitches work, both flip-switches work, and the bass only LED (which is green 5mm, not sure if that matters) turns off and on with the effect. There is a perceived volume drop with just the bass only, but it sounds great with no popping, hissing, etc. Functionally, the pedal seems to operate perfectly, however the main LED (violet 5mm) stays lit always. No variance in brightness under any circumstances. Just always on? I'm wondering if any of you guys have come across this? Thanks as always!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:39 pm 

Wow, you know the socket is just a socket and it doesn't matter which way it is turned right? :grin: as for the led, it is usually a ground making g a connection somewhere that would cause it to stay on. Ask me how I know! Ha!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:12 am 

Well sir I did not know that about the sockets. I just know the instructions are specific about lining up the notch with the notch on the PCB so I erred on the side of safety.But I will gladly take that tip, because it was a bit of a bugger to get out of there. Any idea where to start trouble-shooting the grounding issue? I can post pics but I will have to pull it from the housing? And I will take the bait.... How do you know about this issue?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:37 pm 

The easiest way to check for grounding issues is to check for solder bridges, I've built some 12 pedals myself, and sometimes I flub one. I experienced the same issue myself once upon a really me when an led wouldn't turn off. The led is wired to the hot wire constantly and the ground completes the circuit, so if it's grounded inadvertently, it stays on all the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:29 am 

chadfarmer1 wrote:
Functionally, the pedal seems to operate perfectly, however the main LED (violet 5mm) stays lit always. No variance in brightness under any circumstances. Just always on? I'm wondering if any of you guys have come across this?

All the BYOC effects with stereo output jacks, including the /Octave, run the status LED off of millennium bypass switching. When the LED won't shut off, it's almost always because of the BS170 (Q9 in the DO circuit). Try replacing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:56 pm 

I have exactly the same problem - was it the transistor or messy soldering that was the problem?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 pm 

It's this:
Morgan wrote:
All the BYOC effects with stereo output jacks, including the /Octave, run the status LED off of millennium bypass switching. When the LED won't shut off, it's almost always because of the BS170 (Q9 in the DO circuit). Try replacing it.