Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:43 pm 

Hi. I have a dead BYOC Wah that I'd like to troubleshoot.

I've done searches and I can't figure out how to test the circuit board with a multimeter to determine where the bad solder joint or component is. I certainly am not an electrical engineer!

Is anyone aware of a tutorial or the like?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24 pm 

Probably the same as any other pedal. DMM and an audio probe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:55 pm 

+1000 to an audio probe.
mgarofolo wrote:
Is anyone aware of a tutorial or the like?

These might help:
Pedal De-bugging

Wahs

codtone.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:31 am 

Thanks those links are helpful. I am a beginner pedal builder (3rd build) who can only hope to build "kits" as electrical circuit theory is very confusing. All the fun comes to a screaming halt when you build the thing, carefully and lovingly, and it doesn't really work and you are left with the problem of troubleshooting and debugging. [Briefly, wah sort of worked for a few weeks but didn't really sound great, then started "farting" a bunch, then ceased to function...does pass the signal along when bypassed though noisier than if taken out of the pedal chain altogether].

I should just scrap the project b/c time is precious but I am stubborn and driven to figure this out.

I have a DMM (autoranging) and the "Signal tester" from BYOC. I hooked the tester up just like the diagram showed. I can get a signal (strumming the guitar), though really faint and weak sounding, when "testing" the guitar cable so the cable is ok.

When I start from the input jack I get a signal when touching the jack itself but not where the jack connects to the board. I resoldered that wire with no change. I poked around on the board out of curiosity and do get a signal (albiet faint) at various places, including the output jack, the footswitch, the OpAmp (after I resoldered some sketchy looking points), various caps.

So I'm confused. There isn't really any good tutorials on how to do this. It would be nice to watch a video of someone debugging a basic pedal with the schematic and talking through how to do it properly.

How strong should the "guitar strumming" be through the probe? Like a normal signal?

Should I do the Audio probe first and measure voltages second (and where would I do that?) How can you tell which part of the circuit is for power and which is for signal?

Maybe I should just take it all apart, clean everything up, test each individual component and start over from scratch. Probably be quicker at this stage.

Anyway, nothing worse than a clueless newbie, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:15 pm 

I think maybe your thread title threw some of us off. It sounded like you wanted a complete explanation on how to troubleshoot a dead pedal using only a DMM. Guys probably stayed away from replying because that's not how it works - those sort of troubleshooting skills can take years to develop.

Reading further, I've come to understand that this is your pedal that you want to fix. Aha! Instead of trying to put you through a crash course on troubleshooting via a DMM, how about we do this the time-proven BYOC way?

Please make sure all of these things are answered or done:
byoc wrote:
If you are having trouble with your build, please follow this format. By doing so, this will help you get the help you need faster:

First off, you should title your thread accordingly. The reason for this is so that if someone else is having the exact same problem, they may benifit from your experience. If everyone titles their thread "HELP!!!!!!!!" then that makes the search engine less effective.

Second, when posting pics, please make them big enough to see, but not so big we need to scroll off the screen to see the whole thing. Sometimes it's very helpful to take in the "big picture" all at once. Also, please post pics that are in focus. There's no point in posting a pic that is so out of focus that we can't even make out the color codes on the resistors. If the only camera you have is the one on your cell phone, and you cannot get a good close up shot, then don't bother. We'll just have to work with a written description.

1. Pic of the top side of your PCB.

2. Pic of the underside of your PCB.

3. Pic that clearly shows your footswitch/jack wiring and the wires going to the PCB

4. A pic that clearly shows your wiring going from the PCB to the pots and any other switches

5. Is bypass working?

6. Does the LED come on?

7. If you answer yes to 5 and 6, what does the pedal do when it is "on"?

Thank you,
Keith