Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:09 pm 

So I kept trying with the signal tester and kept finding that the signal died early. However, it seemed to suddenly work and then not again. So I remembered what you said about reflowing all the solder and I did that. When I first powered back up, nothing. But then after clicking the on switch a few times, a signal came through! At first it seemed crackly and weird sounding but it seemed like the longer I played, the better it sounded. The switch stopped acting erratically after the first dozen or so clicks.

I can't explain why it acted so erratically but it seems stable and fully functional now! I'm a bit worried about it still, given the weird changes but I'm hoping it was just working some electronics "ghosts" out of the system and I'm now good to go. I'll keep playing around with it over the next few days and see if anything else seems amiss but so far it seems good.

Thanks for all your help! I am novice when it comes to these things so I appreciate your patience in helping me through the troubleshooting.

Josh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 pm 

Good to hear Josh! I've had pedals do something like that too and can't explain it. But if you continue to get unstable operation, reflow those joints again. Sometimes it takes several passes to really cement a bad joint.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:49 pm 

So, the pedal sounds great when I get it to go on. But I'm still having an issue. When I click the on switch it only turns on every other time. When I click it on, it goes dead, no signal, like before. But then if I click it off and then back on again it goes on. Weird. Seems pretty consistently to be every other on click that it goes on.

Anyone have any idea why it would do this? Is it a bad switch? I really don't fancy the idea of disconnecting all those little wires and trying to hook up a new one but I do really want a fully functional pedal. Is that my only option at this point?

Thanks again for all the help you given me.

Josh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:24 pm 

Could be a bad solder joint on the switch or a funky switch. As Morgan suggested, try re-flowing the solder joints on the switch again. Just for grins, I'd re-flow the joints at the other end of the wires on the PCB, as well. Then if it still continues to act erratically, replace the switch.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:06 am 

Are you fully depressing the switch’s plunger when you step on it? We’ve had a few instances where the stomp switch wasn’t fully actuated because the switch wasn’t being stepped on hard enough.