Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:33 pm 

HI... new to the board and to byoc building. Just finished my first build (Parametric EQ) and almost everything works. :) The Hi-band isn't working! The pedal is really quiet, and both the low and mid bands work great. I've taken the pedal apart and gone over as many of the solder joints (on both sides of the board) as I can without removing the pots AND have swapped the TL074s around and still no change. What am I missing? thx for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:43 pm 

Hi - welcome to the forum! :D

Here are some resources for you:
http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6030 (Please post photos)
http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188
http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211

I see that you've already reheated some solder joints, but your issue is still very likely a bad solder joint. Sometimes it takes a few goings over to correct a stubborn joint.

You likely have something not conducting signal or voltage within the high band section of the circuit. That section includes the following components: C12-C16, R32-R44, IC4 (remove the chip from the socket and reheat the solder joints on the socket only), and VR7-VR9 (the high band Boost/Cut, Q, and Freq pots).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:11 pm 

Thanks Morgan... I'll give it another shot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:20 am 

Tried reflowing all the solder joints listed... still nothing on the hi band. Low and mid seem to be working fine. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:13 pm 

Time for some photos of your build. Please post shots of both sides of the board, plus all the jack and switch wiring. Please make sure the photos are large, well-focused and well-lit. We need to be able to read the color band coding on those little 1/8W resistors.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:17 am 

Hope these are big enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:19 am 

thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:37 pm 

any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:11 pm 

Bump

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:24 pm 

Sorry for the lack of response, seems like this thread may have slipped through. I'm not one of the resident trouble shooters, but I would suggest going over the pots one more time with the iron. Seems like you need to leave the iron on it a little long to transfer the heat to the part rather than just the solder or pad. The larger the mass of the component is, the longer it's going to take to move the heat needed.

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:27 pm 

thanks spin. I'll give it another shot. Thx.
b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:23 pm 

Ok... so still nothing. I've gone thru and resoldered everything 3 times and still nothing. I even exchanged the op amps to see if that was it... still nothing. What do I check next?
thx
b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:28 pm 

+1 top what spin said - sorry for the lack of responses, this post slipped through somehow. :oops:

Good job troubleshooting with swapping the chips. We know it's not a chip issue since the problem did not move with the chip that deals with the hi-band (IC4). We know the pedal is getting proper power since everything else works fine. The resistor, pot, and cap placements all look correct, so that only leaves one likely sources: a bad solder joint. Sorry to sound like a broken record. But I've had builds where I went over the joint half a dozen times before another reflow finally fixed the issue. You might also upload some current photos taken after you reflowed the joints. The photos you provided show very questionable solder joints on the pots.

In my opinion, the symptom you describe sounds very much like one of the pots is not working due to a bad connection, or IC4 is not getting the voltage it needs from the socket.

Here's something you can do if you've able to take voltage readings: compare voltages on IC4 to IC2 and IC3. They should all be basically the same. If you find a voltage on IC4 that seems way off when compared to 2 or 3, that can help us track down the issue. (if you have a meter but are unsure how to use it, please ask before just taking random readings)

If you feel like it might be a component issue (it almost never is), you can also start replacing the components I highlighted is my previous post as dealing with the hi-band.