Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:18 pm 

Hello All,

This is the fifth pedal I've built from BYOC and when I engage the ringer mode, it seems to add a bit of overdrive/distortion and really increases the mid, high-mid volume. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Thanks!

Will

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:44 pm 

I suppose that's a no. OK. I guess that's normal, and it's not good so I'll get rid of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:46 pm 

That part of the pedal is based on a vintage analogue circuit called the Dan Armstrong Green Ringer. It's by no means a perfectly clean octave up. "Not good" is subjective. That nasty snarl is part of it's charm IMO.
You can find clips on Youtube of that effect. If yours sounds markedly different to the clips, maybe you have a build error somewhere, in which case start a troubleshooting thread and we can help.

codtone.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:58 pm 

guitarmageddon wrote:
You can find clips on Youtube of that effect. If yours sounds markedly different to the clips, maybe you have a build error somewhere, in which case start a troubleshooting thread and we can help.

I would second the motion on this. What you are describing could easily be due to a misplaced resistor or similar component mistake. Post some photos and let us have a look. Please make them large, well-lit and well-focused. You don't even need to start a new thread--post them right in this one.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Guitarmageddon is absolutely correct. What you are experiencing is probably normal. The octave up circuit is based on the Green Ringer and it will definitely add a bit of overdrive and color your EQ a bit. I like it. I prefer it over something like the POG for certain things. The digital perfection of the POG can bee too sterile for leads or when used with a fuzz. The analog "flaws" of the divided octave sound more organic and add a pleasant warmth. But if you're playing chords, you might want something cleaner that tracks better.

However, if you're experiencing a nasty overloading-the-mixer sort of clipping distortion, you might have something wrong.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:30 pm 

Thanks for the replies. My build appears to be correct after re-re-rechecking, and the tone it adds does appear to be part of the design. Bummer that it doesn't work for me, but the other five I have are the best!