Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:01 am 

I have been super happy with my divided octave pedal for a while now, has served me well wonderfully for well over a year until I went to kick it in the other night and NOTHING, ugh! Im fairly handy, I did build this one but obviously its a pretty complex circuit, any tips and where/how to start troubleshooting this pedal, or known common causes of this issue, would be GREATLY appreciated! Heres what I can tell you: It still works fine when bypassed, no issues there, the led's both come on so it appears to be getting power ok, I tried with several power supplies so that's not it, all the jacks test good (not shorting out or anything), when switched on there is no signal whatsoever passing through, no matter where I set the pots or if I turn the lower octave only switch on/off its all the same, just a very low hum which is only really noticeable if I crank the amp way up. I also very carefully inspected the board and reflowed a LOT of spots, my soldering is super clean does not seem to be the issue, just seems like some component has quit on me suddenly, question is which one? From there I am very open to any input/suggestions, thank you! :?:

Take it easy,
Carl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:32 am 

The most common problem when a working pedal just stops working out of the blue like this is a bad solder joint or three.

Since the DO uses a change pump the charge pump chip is also a likely suspect. To check if it is working correctly use your DMM to take voltage readings. Set it for DC voltage and place the black (ground) probe on the sleeve of one of the jacks or in the corner screw holes in the enclosure. Then take a reading at pins 5 & 8 of IC7 with the red probe. On my DO I get +8.7V on pin 8 and -7.3V on pin 5. The voltage on pin 8 of the other op-amps (IC1,2,3,4,5&6) should be the same as pin 8 of IC7. Pin 4 of the same op-amps should be the same as pin 5 of IC7. IC’s 8&9 should have the same voltage on pin 14 as pin 8 of IC7

If the voltages on IC7 don’t check out then it is likely the chip has been damaged. This will happen whenever you use a non-regulated Power Supply with the pedal. To check if you have a regulated PS measure the PS’s output with nothing attached to it. If the output is regulated it should measure at 9V give or take 0.1V or so. If it is non-regulated the output will measure at 12V or more. Ideally you should never use a non-regulated PS with any audio circuitry. Especially if the pedal uses a charge pump.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:57 am 

Stephen is likely spot on. But I'd add that if the charge pump is not the culprit, there is a very short dry signal path in this circuit. Since the very short dry signal path is not working, that would lead me to also check the foots witch operation, and solder joints on the switch and the audio jacks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:42 am 

Thank you Stephen, I checked all those points and all the voltages match up pretty much the same as yours, so that doesn't seem to be the issue, where should I look next?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:00 am 

Check the switch and make sure signal is making it into and out of the circuit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:17 am 

The effected signal does not appear to be getting to the switch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:56 am 

Anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:44 pm 

CarlsCustomGuitars wrote:
The effected signal does not appear to be getting to the switch

Can you expand on this statement, please? How exactly are you determining this? With a signal tester?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:00 pm 

If I remove the wire to the switch with the output signal from the board and connect it directly to the output going into an amplifier I get no signal, I tested it several different ways and there doesn't appear to be affected signal coming off of the circuitboard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:21 am 

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Since you have power getting to the pcb, voltages look good on the charge pump, and the pedal used to work, the issue is likely just a bad solder joint somewhere. Since you have bypass signal, we know the connection to the jacks are okay. But since you have zero signal in effect mode, the issue is likely that you are not getting signal to the pcb or from the pcb, which narrows things down quite a bit.

Have you tried plugging in the aux jack? The aux jack takes a signal from the first buffer. No signal there would indicate that signal is either not getting to the pcb, or that there is a bad solder joint or component in the input section of the circuit. If the aux jack works in bypass and effect mode, you can ignore the part below.

Here are the components associated with the aux jack: The bypass footswitch lugs 1 and 2 (those 2 lugs should have continuity is effect mode when the LED is on), R1-R4, R37, R39, R101, C1-C4, C13, IC1, and bypass footswitch lugs 4 & 5 (those 2 lugs should also have continuity is effect mode when the LED is on).
Check out all those components, test continuity on the switch, resolder those connections, etc.

If the aux jack works in both modes, but you don't get sound from the normal output jack in effect mode, you likely have an issue right at the circuit output. Check that bypass footswitch lugs 8 & 9 have continuity in effect mode and reflow the solder joints on the footswitch wiring. The output signal also passes through the bass only footswitch (lugs 7, 8, & 9) so resolder those joints/check those connections too.

If I remove the wire to the switch with the output signal from the board and connect it directly to the output going into an amplifier I get no signal, I tested it several different ways and there doesn't appear to be affected signal coming off of the circuitboard

Which footswitch lug are you referring to specifically here?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:25 am 

Nothing from the aux jack either when pedal is engaged...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:17 am 

Have you confirmed that you have continuity between footswitch lugs 1 and 2 when the pedal is engaged? That is the required switch connection for the incoming signal to pass into the effect circuit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:43 am 

Yes confirmed…

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:33 am 

Do you have a signal tester to check for signal at pin 7 of IC1? That's where the signal splits to feed forward to both the main and auxiliary outputs in the engaged mode, so if that IC has failed it would kill output on both jacks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:46 am 

There does not appear to be any signal there…

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:53 am 

Do you have a spare dual op amp or another working pedal with a socketed dual op amp that you could swap into the IC1 position on your Divided Octave? Doesn't have to be a 4558D--any standard dual op amp should work fine (RP4558P, TL072, OPA2134PA, NE5532, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm 

Should there be continuity across any of the diodes?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:24 pm 

Tried a TLO 72 in there and it didn't change anything…

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:39 pm 

I have continuity across diode one, is that normal?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:08 pm 

I have continuity across diode one, is that normal?

No. If you test resistance from the bottom (square) solder pad of D1 with your red DMM probe while the black probe is grounded, you should see a resistance of about 115 Kohms. If the diode is shorted, the resistance to ground should be ~0, and the diode should be replaced.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:03 pm 

Replaced both of the big diodes with 1n34A's, that's all I had, no continuity across the diode now but still no output… Frustrating!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:57 pm 

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:37 pm 

Do you have signal at pin 5 of IC1?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:02 pm 

No signal from pin 5 of ic 1

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:47 pm 

You need to determine where the incoming guitar signal is first dropping out. Test for signal at the following points (in the order shown) with the pedal engaged:

1. Tip of the input jack
  2. Lug 2 of the footswitch
  3. Lug 1 of the footswitch
  4. Top of R101
  5. Bottom of R1
  6. Top of R1

Which is the first test point where signal is not present?