Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:38 am 

Hello, Im very puzzled. this kit requires 8 220k/224 resistors.

I have 8 left over - I spent hours squinting, using lights, magnifiying glasses trying to see what color I really had. I was really straining my eyes and I swear they were changing color on me..

I believe the colors for all 8 left over go as follows: violet/red/black/orange/brown - which should be 720k ohm, a non standard value according to a website..

but when I measure it with a cheapo multimeter it comes out to be .219 M ohm, which is near 220. so Im guessing that is right for what I need. I looked at another posters detailed board, and saw that he had the same resistors I received, and placed them in the 224 spots. My question is, how does this resistor exist, for that value with a different color scheme? if this is indeed right? Or am I not seeing the colors correctly?

No matter what colors I try in the website 5 band color charts, I can't get that value unless it starts with red/red/black/orange/brown as it says in the directions. Im sure what I was given was right, Im just no expert with this. If I didn't read the small snippet about the multimeter in the directions, I would be emailing about me having the wrong parts right about now. thank you for the clarification.. hopefully I have the right parts. I'll double check. the resistors are definitely the hardest part..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 am 

Trying to distinguish the colors of the bands on those little 1/8W resistors can be very difficult. If they check out as the right value by multimeter, go with them--that's the most reliable way to identify their values.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:35 am 

thank you for the reassurance.

just for the record, with about every kit I get, I always start to write an email to byoc saying im missing parts well into the sorting process...

But after a while, its always me, and the parts are mixed up or misplaced. You guys are lucky Im not in charge at byoc, everyone would be missing kit parts for sure. I don't know how they get these tiny parts right.. pretty amazing.

Ok, I will go with these resistors even though the colors don't match up. I need red/red/black/orange/brown for 220k, but these violet/red/black/orange/brown resistors seem to measure out to that amount somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:52 am 

If you can get a good close-up photo of these resistors, I'd like to see them.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:57 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:36 pm 

Wow, I see what you mean! :shock: There are a couple that I could believe have a darker shade of red on the first band, but most of them look purple, as you said. Visually, I'd call them 720K's, too. But go with how they measure with a multimeter, because that's the most reliable way to identify them, by far. Measure them ALL before using them. And, of course, they must be measured out of the circuit--once soldered in place, you may not be able to get an accurate reading due to the presence of parallel circuit paths....

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:46 pm 

OK, here's my theory:

That first color band is printed on the shoulder of the resistor, which I would bet affects how well the ink/paint applies. If the red color went on thinly enough for the blue background to show through....well, red + blue = purple.