Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:48 am 

Top Drive Preamp Rev. B

Circuit Design: Chris Moir (PDF Electronics)
Layout: Gino Maisano (Pitch Black Electronics)
Organized by: Curt (eFX-Tronics)

Build Information
Schematic:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y2czhhuhhee
Layout:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zzmjztzy4zn
Bill of Materials:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zlnmty3nhjm
Wiring Diagram:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0e0c ... f6e8ebb871
Graphic Diagram:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0e0c ... f6e8ebb871
Thanks Curt

Note from Gino:
Gino wrote:
In the bill of materials I specified parts that can be found at major parts distributors (Digi-Key, Mouser, etc.). However, I specified a WIMA cap (item 5 on the BOM) and those are usually found at Mouser. If you absolutely have to use Mouser exclusively (I don't know why), Digi-Key part numbers can be searched for in Mouser. These are the part numbers on Digi-key's website that end in "-ND". Also, if you are looking for a particular part number, FindChips.com is very handy as it searches multiple distributors, including Digi-Key and Mouser.

I also included as much relevant pricing information as possible. For those of you who ordered more than one board, you can input the quantity in cell B7 and the prices should adjust accordingly. Obviously price breaks are not calculated, but at least this will give you a general idea of cost. I also left a few columns in that I use when finding parts for a job. For example, the "Stock?" column allows me to mark whether I've got the part in stock already or if I have to order it.

I tried to make the layout somewhat modular in that you don't have to directly solder the wires to the board if you don't want to. In the "Optional Parts" section I have included connectors and latching headers for the tubes, input/output connectors, FET switch and the XLR cable connection. Also, Chris highly recommends the use of a heat sink for U1.

Also, the layout facilitates board-mounting the pots but obviously this isn't required.

I must point out one goof on the layout though. The caps in the charge pump section, C1-C7, are 10uF 63V electrolytics. The footprint I used for these caps is way too big so the board will end up looking funny when it's done. Sorry about that. This is a better goof than the footprint being way too small though. If you would like your board to look nice, go with a 10uF 450V cap and it'll be the right size. It will affect the circuit in no way.

Good luck and happy building!

Gino

Last edited by gtrplaya101 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:19 pm 

gtrplaya101 wrote:
Top Drive Preamp Rev. B (Group Order)

Circuit Design: Chris Moir (PDF Electronics)
Layout: Gino Maisano (Pitch Black Electronics)
Project Manager: Curt Middleton (eFX-Tronics)

I will be updating this as I am able to collect more and more information. For the meantime posted below is the component layout. In the next few days I hope to have a BOM posted, full schematic, build notes, and wiring diagram.

Thanks Curt
(PS for everyone who ordered a board, I should be placing the order either tonight or tom)

fixed!!!

Last edited by Wicker on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:00 am 

I'm having alot of trouble trying to get the BOM, schematic, etc! ie. "cant open xls file extention", "you must first create an account" (MediaFire- also lots of pop ups there!!), etc. etc. Could someone please just send me this info in a "I'm at a total preschool level on the computer, Windows" format so I can study it, order parts, and start my build? I have a second board comming and really need this info.
Thanks to anyone for the patience and help.
Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 am 

everettsorb wrote:
I'm having alot of trouble trying to get the BOM, schematic, etc! ie. "cant open xls file extention", "you must first create an account" (MediaFire- also lots of pop ups there!!), etc. etc. Could someone please just send me this info in a "I'm at a total preschool level on the computer, Windows" format so I can study it, order parts, and start my build? I have a second board comming and really need this info.
Thanks to anyone for the patience and help.
Lawrence

PM me an email address, I'll email them to you as attachments.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:08 am 

Just looked through the BOM. I'm guessing that, due to the linear layout for the tube pin connections (V1 and V2), and the fact that tubes won't likely fit inside the enclosure... that we need chassis mount tube sockets? IF so - SCORE cause I already have a pair of preamp tube chassis mount sockets I'm not using :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:29 pm 

tonedeaf wrote:
Just looked through the BOM. I'm guessing that, due to the linear layout for the tube pin connections (V1 and V2), and the fact that tubes won't likely fit inside the enclosure... that we need chassis mount tube sockets? IF so - SCORE cause I already have a pair of preamp tube chassis mount sockets I'm not using :D

You got it.

The enclosure will get pretty tight with the large PCB, jacks, pots and switching stuff. O and the transformer, IEC, fuse holder etc...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:33 pm 

dayyyyum, almost 200 bucks to build one... shit. For some reason I thought it would be a lot less.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:43 pm 

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
dayyyyum, almost 200 bucks to build one... shit. For some reason I thought it would be a lot less.

That's only if you need to buy every single part on there. I printed the BOM, and started putting check marks in the rows where I already have the parts. Plus some of these parts you can definitely get for less if you shop a bit (primary example - the 500v mica caps).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:49 pm 

tonedeaf wrote:
ParanoidAndroid wrote:

That's only if you need to buy every single part on there. I printed the BOM, and started putting check marks in the rows where I already have the parts. Plus some of these parts you can definitely get for less if you shop a bit (primary example - the 500v mica caps).

Definitely. Chances are you won't need every single part listed. Plus there's all the optional parts that aren't necessary at all (except I'd definitely put a heat sink on the regulator). This was just a guide to go off of. You don't have to get the exact caps, resistors, etc. that are spec'd.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:56 pm 

I realize that. Many good points. I guess Im not even excited at the thought of paying more than 60 bucks in parts, to be honest. We'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 pm 

26 of it are the two enclosures- hammonds. Tubes are listed as well. I don't know about you but I got plenty o 12ax7s kicking around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:42 am 

Yes those prices are actually kinda high. $6 for a switch? I am SURE you can source your part for under $100 im guessing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:07 pm 

tonedeaf wrote:
26 of it are the two enclosures- hammonds. Tubes are listed as well. I don't know about you but I got plenty o 12ax7s kicking around.

12AX7s won't work

When I designed and built the original I used parts I had on stock. I bet most of you will have all the caps, resistors. Only specific things you need are the sockets, XLR jack, xformer and chassis.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:08 pm 

12bh7s?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:31 am 

ChrisM wrote:
12AX7s won't work

They're listed on the BOM. What kind do we need?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:33 am 

Opps that's a mistake. :x

Should be low mu 12AU7s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:05 am 

Not to do a shameless plug but I have 16 RCA 12au7 tubes for sale!
(top row)

Tube Depot has the same NOS ones here:
http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-12au7-rca-bp.html

Note: These are used and I cannot guarantee their life span so how about $15 each plus shipping?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:39 pm 

Is anyone starting to build this yet???

I am going to need some help with this little project please! :D

I am ready to move forward but do not know where to begin aside from the resistors, caps etc...

Layout or template for the 1590dd?

A wiring diagram???

I would love to see a walkthrough of sorts if that is possible?

Anyway I got hundreds of dollars tied up in this and would really dig some help. :lol:

Thanks.

Celebrating 11 Years!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:51 am 

As far an actual step by step build, that is going to have to come from Chris or Gino, because sadly I sold all of my boards by accident. However the build is pretty straightforward and shouldn't really require a wiring diagram.
Here are the steps I would take:
1) Solder all small components to the PCB
2) Solder all large components to the PCB
3) Drill holes in enclosure for necessary holes (2 1/4" Jacks, transformer mounting holes and wire holes, tube socket holes, switch, etc.) With this step you will need to use your own discretion as to actual hole placement. My advice is to place the PCB in the enclosure and lay everything out.
4) Mount all external components the enclosure (Transformer, tube sockets, jacks, etc.)
5) Make necessary wiring connections (tube pin 1 to P1 spot on board, input jack to input solder pad, transformer primary to lug, etc.)
6) Box it up and rock out!

Take pictures as you go to share with everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:04 am 

gtrplaya101 wrote:
As far an actual step by step build, that is going to have to come from Chris or Gino, because sadly I sold all of my boards by accident. However the build is pretty straightforward and shouldn't really require a wiring diagram. !

Uh, didn't you build something called "Clockworks" :mrgreen:

Frag Magnet wrote:

BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:20 pm 

gtrplaya101 wrote:
However the build is pretty straightforward and shouldn't really require a wiring diagram.

:lol: While that I am sure is fine for the majority! This is my fist time building an amp ever! And I mistakenely assumed people here were going to help but so far the only action going on is people selling their boards in the For Sale threads!

I thank you however for offering that bit of information and I will make an attempt since I already have so much tied up in this and I am determined to learn something from it (other than what some of you may be thinking :lol: ) so I will share pictures and words and probably ask many questions as I go and I am sure there will be some nice people to help out those like me who are trying to do something they have never tried before.

@ gtrplaya101 I certainly don't expect you to do all the work. I just did not think a wiring diagram along with a few tips would not be that much trouble??? I do not mean that towards you either.

Celebrating 11 Years!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:49 pm 

I haven't started building this yet, but I am a little confused by the wiring in the power section. Specifically t1-2, and where/how the mains hook up. Everything else seems pretty straight forward.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:53 pm 

SugarBear wrote:
I haven't started building this yet, but I am a little confused by the wiring in the power section. Specifically t1-2, and where/how the mains hook up. Everything else seems pretty straight forward.

Let me ask Chris and see what he says about hooking this up. I am merrily the board order'er here haha not the circuit designer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 pm 

SugarBear wrote:

Now I don't feel so bad for asking! Thanks Sugar Bear!!!!
Actually I must admit it did not really make me feel bad for asking :P

Celebrating 11 Years!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:00 am 

Barry, did you get my wiring diagram?