Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm
Posts: 2501
Board Layout:
Image

Board Traces:
Image

Wiring Diagram:
Image

Bill of Materials:
http://efxdigitaldesign.com/Klone%20BOM.pdf


Last edited by gtrplaya101 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:38 am
Posts: 4897
Location: Columbia River Gorge
Gain 1 & 2 - Tone and Vol pots are all aligned the same.

When the board is oriented as in the pic above, the holes are:

G-1 (3-2-1), G-2 (3-2-1), Tone (3-2-1), Vol (3-2-1)

_________________
Image

Frag Magnet wrote:


BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:45 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 pm
Posts: 3979
Location: Rochester, NY
Is the CLR on the board? I do see a 4k7, but it's kinda far from the LED.

_________________
Scott

My band, Austin Hollow: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:38 am
Posts: 4897
Location: Columbia River Gorge
The CLR is the 3K9 directly North of the A-3 pad.

_________________
Image

Frag Magnet wrote:


BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:57 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 pm
Posts: 3979
Location: Rochester, NY
Cool, thanks. Next question: the whole charge pump vs. diodes thing in the other thread got really confusing. Would someone do me the kindness of just telling me which parts to order? I promise it's due to ignorance and not laziness. OK, 10% laziness. :oops:

_________________
Scott

My band, Austin Hollow: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:18 pm
Posts: 3838
Location: Byron Bay, Australia
MAX1044, TC1044SCP or ICL7660SCPA will do the trick.

_________________
"Spud knows tone"

codtone.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:38 am
Posts: 4897
Location: Columbia River Gorge
Diodes are any germanium you have in your parts bin. I socket the position, and I have heard of all kinds of germs being used. Try 'em all.


_________________
Image

Frag Magnet wrote:


BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 pm
Posts: 3979
Location: Rochester, NY
So all that talk about diode voltage and different charge pumps and making sure they play nice together—not so crucial?

(Funny thing is, if I'd never read that other thread, I'd follow the BOM exactly and it probably would be fine.) :)

(Also, sorry to dominate this thread so far!)

_________________
Scott

My band, Austin Hollow: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 pm
Posts: 9842
Location: NY, NY
I think the question above is about the Zener Diodes. I truly feel the 9.1 Volt Zener is the best bet. I see no real reason to use any other. Why use a 12 volt?

_________________
duhvoodooman wrote:
My, that IS a big one!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:38 am
Posts: 4897
Location: Columbia River Gorge
dcountry13 wrote:
I think the question above is about the Zener Diodes. I truly feel the 9.1 Volt Zener is the best bet. I see no real reason to use any other. Why use a 12 volt?


1n4742

Believe it or not, my local Rat Shack has these.

DC is totally correct. 7660 and 1044 will BOTH work with 1N4739, but a 12V[1N4742] Zener will cook 1044, so why even mess with any other zener.


***Edited for clarity.***

_________________
Image

Frag Magnet wrote:


BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:


Last edited by crbmoa on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 7257
Location: Nashville, TN
Hey SJ, maybe the whole Max and TC1044 thing confused you. Bottom line is if you use the 9v zener you need not worry about the Max cooking past 9v (in case your PS is not well regulated). Basically the TC can handle more voltage and if your PS is not regulated that could come in handy. But with the protection diode you sort of check that issue at the door........if I understand all the correctly.

Boy, can't view photobucket here at work. Would love to use their ink to print the wiring diagram instead of my ink at home :lol: Woe is me.....

_________________
powerpopguy wrote:
warm places theory sounds plausible. Occasionally, I wake up and think my snake is missing too, but it turns out it's just a chilly morning. :P


Last edited by TNblueshawk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 pm
Posts: 9842
Location: NY, NY
crbmoa wrote:
dcountry13 wrote:
I think the question above is about the Zener Diodes. I truly feel the 9.1 Volt Zener is the best bet. I see no real reason to use any other. Why use a 12 volt?


1n4742

Believe it or not, my local Rat Shack has these.

DC is totally correct. 7660 and 1044 will BOTH work with 1N4742, but a 12V Zener will cook 1044, so why even mess with any other zener.


Just to verify....the Zener you want is a 1N4739 9.1 Volt Zener

A 1N4742 is a 12 volt.

A bit of reference.....

http://www.vishay.com/docs/85816/1n4728a.pdf

_________________
duhvoodooman wrote:
My, that IS a big one!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm
Posts: 13871
Location: Albany, NY
A schematic and corresponding PCB layout diagram labeled with the component numbers would be very useful....

_________________
“My favorite programming language is SOLDER” - Bob Pease (RIP)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Posts: 2424
Location: The Last Place You Look
dcountry13 wrote:
crbmoa wrote:
dcountry13 wrote:
I think the question above is about the Zener Diodes. I truly feel the 9.1 Volt Zener is the best bet. I see no real reason to use any other. Why use a 12 volt?


1n4742

Believe it or not, my local Rat Shack has these.

DC is totally correct. 7660 and 1044 will BOTH work with 1N4742, but a 12V Zener will cook 1044, so why even mess with any other zener.


Just to verify....the Zener you want is a 1N4739 9.1 Volt Zener

A 1N4742 is a 12 volt.

A bit of reference.....

http://www.vishay.com/docs/85816/1n4728a.pdf


What did I miss??

If I need to use a 1N4739 then WHY does the BOM say 1N4742?? :?

_________________
Granville Guitars - Guitar & Amplifier Repairs - Custom Effects Pedals - Hand Wound Pickups
http://www.granvilleguitars.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm
Posts: 2501
The BOM represents the way the circuit was designed originally. Switching to a 9.1v diode is a mod that has been created and makes more sense in this application however my BOM reflects if you want to build it to exact specs. Does it make any difference sonically? nope.... all it is, is a fuse. Do you want a 12v "fuse" or a 9v "fuse". The original used a 12v but a 9v makes more practical sense. Don't want a fuse, Pull the sucker out and put a jumper in its place. Done that several times on my own builds.

For the clipping diodes, go germ. Grab a bunch and experiment to find what you like. Its DIY after all :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Posts: 2424
Location: The Last Place You Look
gtrplaya101 wrote:
The BOM represents the way the circuit was designed originally. Switching to a 9.1v diode is a mod that has been created and makes more sense in this application however my BOM reflects if you want to build it to exact specs. Does it make any difference sonically? nope.... all it is, is a fuse. Do you want a 12v "fuse" or a 9v "fuse". The original used a 12v but a 9v makes more practical sense. Don't want a fuse, Pull the sucker out and put a jumper in its place. Done that several times on my own builds.

For the clipping diodes, go germ. Grab a bunch and experiment to find what you like. Its DIY after all :-)


Thanks, playa! 8)

Any particular germs you fancy?? :?:

_________________
Granville Guitars - Guitar & Amplifier Repairs - Custom Effects Pedals - Hand Wound Pickups
http://www.granvilleguitars.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 1376
Location: Toronto, Canada.
gtrplaya101 wrote:
The BOM represents the way the circuit was designed originally. Switching to a 9.1v diode is a mod that has been created and makes more sense in this application however my BOM reflects if you want to build it to exact specs. Does it make any difference sonically? nope.... all it is, is a fuse. Do you want a 12v "fuse" or a 9v "fuse". The original used a 12v but a 9v makes more practical sense. Don't want a fuse, Pull the sucker out and put a jumper in its place. Done that several times on my own builds.

For the clipping diodes, go germ. Grab a bunch and experiment to find what you like. Its DIY after all :-)

If you jumper it your putting V+ to ground.

Think you mean leave the spot (Zener) empty.

_________________
http://www.pdfelectronics.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm
Posts: 2501
haha yeah, sorry about that. Man I am tired. LONG LONG days at work. I think 50+ hours is catching up with me. Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 8970
Location: Rouyn-Noranda, Qc
Would it be possible to have the schematic, to be able to know where some components goes, like tant and other capacitor?

Thanks!

_________________
Comfort Player wrote:
After reflowing and several attempts at signal tracing and switch testing I plugged in the power.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm
Posts: 2501
Yeah I can get a schematic but it is gonna be a while before I get a chance. I am swamped with work. Maybe Chris could post a good photo of his circuit board so you can see how he placed everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm
Posts: 2501
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 8970
Location: Rouyn-Noranda, Qc
Well...it's not telling me more than the BOM or layout, what i need to know is wich cap is part of the tone stack.

I don't want to socket everything, i know what i must do, just need to know where to put it. :)

_________________
Comfort Player wrote:
After reflowing and several attempts at signal tracing and switch testing I plugged in the power.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:28 pm
Posts: 3265
Location: Alameda, California
Is it just me, or is the layout posted at the top, and the picture one post up from here just a bit different? I see a few caps that look to be in different locations.
-P

_________________
TNblueshawk wrote:
Actually I believe Powerpop sent it to me...I put one of his fuzzies in mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm
Posts: 2501
Its just you, same thing :mrgreen:

Added the traces diagram above in the intro post. That should help identify which components are which. If you want a schematic in the meantime, just look around. There are tons of Klon schematics laying around.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:28 pm
Posts: 3265
Location: Alameda, California
Now I know I must be right. Look at the 2 diagrams above. The one with traces is different than the one with pots. I mean, they are the same circuit, but a different layout. The 390N cap is where there are some differences. My eyes do not deceive me!
-P

_________________
TNblueshawk wrote:
Actually I believe Powerpop sent it to me...I put one of his fuzzies in mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group