Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:23 am 

So here's my take on the over-used Fuzz Face........

What made me want to work on this is, a while ago a friend made me hear a «Booteek» FF that you could switch between 2 pair of trannies or blend those trannies. The only hick-up about that pedal......is that it's sold for 400$.......pouahahahaha, so yeah i had to do it...........

The Ge's noted are not what have to be in the built, any PNP Ge will do it....as long as you have 2 different kind.

I also modified the «Volume» control from the original Arbiter, for an «Attack», i think it will be more usefull....

So here's the schem, pretty sure about everything...... Polar Rev included, Daisy chain your Unicorn! :wink:

Attachments:
UNOBTAINIUMcomplete.jpg
UNOBTAINIUMcomplete.jpg [ 273.16 KiB | Viewed 8852 times ]

Last edited by GrindCustoms on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:47 am 

Looks good bro, and nice idea doing the DeviEver attack thing in the beginning. :D
I wonder how the bias will work out when you have one AC and one NTK though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 am 

I also thought about that a bit..........but since i did'nt find any answers, i just posted it in quest of more answers.......... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:20 am 

Looks like you have separate bias pots for each "Q2". I'd say that would do the trick in being able to swap transistors. Nice work. Did you try it yet?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 am 

dcountry13 wrote:
Looks like you have separate bias pots for each "Q2". I'd say that would do the trick in being able to swap transistors. Nice work. Did you try it yet?

Yep, it's separate Bias for Q2, at first i wanted to make individual Bias for each trannie, but after a little late night chat with Capt'n, it became obvious that it would have been overkill.

Now that i have the «green light, i'll give it a try..., BiPolar charge pump is already on the breadboard :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 am 

Why is it overkill? Maybe not as external bias controls, but I can't see how a seperate internal trimmer bias for each wouldn't be useful or even necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:08 am 

Overkill in the sense that it was complicating the schem...... :lol:

At wich measure would having a Bias adjust for the Q1 postion (Q1 and Q3) would become a necessity?

Looking at it now...., i tought it would change something in the switching, but it does'nt.

I may go that way then...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 am 

Rej, which Q3 are you referring to a I've. You have Q1, Q3, Q2 and Q3. I assume you meant one of the Q3s to be Q4. Also is your intent to have the Bias control for the 2nd set of transistors external or internal?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 am 

dcountry13 wrote:
Rej, which Q3 are you referring to a I've. You have Q1, Q3, Q2 and Q3. I assume you meant one of the Q3s to be Q4. Also is your intent to have the Bias control for the 2nd set of transistors external or internal?

Damn it! yeah the Q3 at the left right of Q2.........is Q4.......... :oops:

I would likely go for internal bias control.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:22 am 

Now that you really made me think about it...........i will go for an external bias control, A50K pot instead of the 33k resistor should do the trick?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 am 

GrindCustoms wrote:
Now that you really made me think about it...........i will go for an external bias control, A50K pot instead of the 33k resistor should do the trick?

Rej, I think we are talking two different things here. The 33k is for Q1, Q3. I am not concerned with that. My original thought was that you had two different bias controls for Q2 and Q4. That is what I was referring to that I liked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 am 

dcountry13 wrote:
GrindCustoms wrote:

Rej, I think we are talking two different things here. The 33k is for Q1, Q3. I am not concerned with that. My original thought was that you had two different bias controls for Q2 and Q4. That is what I was referring to that I liked.

Oh jeez............., sorry about that..........., i got confused somewhere........and i was'nt getting it at all...... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 am 

GrindCustoms wrote:
What made me want to work on this is, a while ago a friend made me hear a «Booteek» FF that you could switch between 2 pair of trannies or blend those trannies. The only hick-up about that pedal......is that it's sold for 400$.......pouahahahaha, so yeah i had to do it...........

Which Fuzz is that, just out of curiosity? The only one I know with a blend (not a switch) between Ge and Si trannies is very, very definitely not a fuzz face.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 am 

midwayfair wrote:
GrindCustoms wrote:

Which Fuzz is that, just out of curiosity? The only one I know with a blend (not a switch) between Ge and Si trannies is very, very definitely not a fuzz face.

It's a simple PNP Arbiter Fuzz Face, that switches between 2 sets of Ge's..........

Here's the pedal in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRtf1qP7 ... ce=message

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:50 pm 

It Works!

Still have some little tweaks to do, i may play with some cap values........but the base of the project is working.

Really happy! :mrgreen: