Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:27 pm 

culturejam wrote:
If you wire the red lead straight to the board, the battery will always be in the circuit (ie - it will be pulling current all the time). You want to wire it first to a stereo jack (input jack, usually), and then on to the board. This will kill the circuit when the input jack is removed.

Oh, right! Good to know. I reckon I'll probably send the black wire to the sleeve on the input jack too, so the wires originate from the same area. Thanks CJ.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:56 pm 

culturejam wrote:
If you wire the red lead straight to the board, the battery will always be in the circuit (ie - it will be pulling current all the time). You want to wire it first to a stereo jack (input jack, usually), and then on to the board. This will kill the circuit when the input jack is removed.

Finally getting back to this, and I can't seem to figure out the problem. The way I have it wired now, it's powered without a plug in the input jack. Putting a cable in disconnects the circuit—no LED, no sound getting through. What is the painfully obvious thing I'm missing?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:45 pm 

Did you wire everything on that daughterboard backward too? You might be having a +/- GND conflict. And that's why I pretty much refuse to build positive-ground projects.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:43 pm 

Has the schematic in the original post been updated? Was going to try some Eagle and breadboard experiments and was looking for a good, solid schematic to start with.

http://www.facebook.com/MalvinAudio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:24 pm 

Funhouse42 wrote:
Has the schematic in the original post been updated? Was going to try some Eagle and breadboard experiments and was looking for a good, solid schematic to start with.

No, I didn't upate the posted schematic (as far as I can recall). The only problem was that 9v and GND were reversed. The way to fix that is just rename them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 pm 

culturejam wrote:
Did you wire everything on that daughterboard backward too? You might be having a +/- GND conflict. And that's why I pretty much refuse to build positive-ground projects.

No, that didn't occur to me. The only polarized part is the LED, though, right? Or do I also need to swap G and 9V on the switch PCB as on the circuit PCB? (I did check for continuity among all the connected ground points and between all the 9V points.) I just noticed that the 1776effects.com guide for their switch PCBs (PDF) says "this board was not designed to accommodate a battery." But I assume it really means it's not designed to accommodate a DC jack AND a battery.

I think in the future I will join you in refusing to build positive-ground projects. :)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23 pm 

GGG has some useful wiring diagrams for pnp, I've only made one pnp pedal and I used this diagram:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... np_dcj.pdf
If you aren't getting any signal, I'd connect the pcb in and out directly to the input and output jacks and see if it works, if it did then you know it's an issue with the 3pdt pcb. If it doesn't work then you might need to audio probe the circuit.

Edit: I just looked at your battery connections, it looks like you have 9v- sent to the GND on that footswitch PCB. This is a problem because input and output S connections are grounding your battery. Clip the two sleeve connects and get back to us. Remember 9v+ is your ground on PNP, and that switch pcb was designed for NPN.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:28 am 

So I have finally got the time for building this. Just one thing I need to know: Is the right trimpot here a 1/4 inch? Like this: http://www.musikding.de/Trimm-pot-1-4-50k

Sorry for bringing up this old thread... Ironically, I asked CJ to make the PCBs for this, now I am probably the one who is the latest to build it :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 am 

Yep, that's the right size trimmer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:21 am 

radioegg wrote:
Sorry for bringing up this old thread... Ironically, I asked CJ to make the PCBs for this, now I am probably the one who is the latest to build it :oops:

Nope! Mine's still sitting on my bench not really working. Still trying to figure out how to power and ground it with battery only. Can't be hard, just have had other things occupying my time. :)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 am 

sjaustin wrote:
radioegg wrote:

Nope! Mine's still sitting on my bench not really working. Still trying to figure out how to power and ground it with battery only. Can't be hard, just have had other things occupying my time. :)

Yes but you still built it almost straight away :) Now troubleshooting THAT'S another story... I've had a non working King of Tone build on the shelf for over a year. Might just as well give it away, as I just ordered an Aion Bluesbreaker Board for building a single channel KoT without all that awful wiring.

But now, I just need the parts to dump into my mailbox next week, and a little bit of spare time, and I'll at least build one of my Stone Fuzzers, before the Aion boards get on the desk.