Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:37 pm 

Hey Culturejam, I sent you a PM...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:20 pm 

Ripdivot pointed out some things I hadn't noticed. Most importantly, my schematic has three fewer caps than the Iron Bell. Not sure why that is. I didn't think to count the total parts when I traced, I just sat down with a Muff schematic and jotted down values. So I obviously missed something.

But that means my version isn't a clone!! It's an original!! :lol: (relatively speaking)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:44 pm 

I revised the schematic to show the changed cap value in the Curve control. I also added a current-limiting resistor for the LED (for convenience) and a RF filter cap on the input (marked as Cx). The cap is totally optional, but you may find it useful. I changed a few other cap values as well, mostly just to make them "normal" values that we all have laying around. I don't think the value changes will yield noticeable tonal changes.

Attachments:
SpasmChasm-V2-Schematic.png
SpasmChasm-V2-Schematic.png [ 11.49 KiB | Viewed 4422 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:30 pm 

I could probably figure this out, but I'm feeling lazy...

Do the Capacitor and Resistor numbers on this layout correspond to the mudbunny numbers? Like R1 = R1, etc...
Say, if I wanted to build a mayo muff on this board, could I use the BOM for the mudbunny board and plug in the values?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 pm 

wstimson wrote:
Do the Capacitor and Resistor numbers on this layout correspond to the mudbunny numbers? Like R1 = R1, etc...
Say, if I wanted to build a mayo muff on this board, could I use the BOM for the mudbunny board and plug in the values?

There are some minor differences (a few extra parts). I would print out both schematics and compare to make sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:34 pm 

culturejam wrote:
wstimson wrote:

There are some minor differences (a few extra parts). I would print out both schematics and compare to make sure.

Cool, thanks! I'll probably just go with what you have here... I was just curious if they matched up.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:22 pm 

They don't match exactly, but they aren't terribly far apart either. Take a look at booth schematics and you'll see pretty quickly where to change the values to suit the "version" of Muff you are interested in.

The Spasm is kinda-sorta like a Ram's Head with some slightly different values.

Also, it was pointed out that I omitted a few caps that were in the original Iron Bell. The omitted caps are for "treble bleed" on both the Sustain and Volume pots. These can be easily added on the pots if desired.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:59 am 

Thanks so much for tracing this one, the original sounds so great I was hoping for someone to get the right values. Have you made a demo already?

I'll probably try to make one on a Mini Muff pcb, it should be fun, especially the wiring for the curve pot :mrgreen: Are the values given in the last schematic confirmed? I do not care if it's not exactly what the extra pot on the Iron Bell does, but it would be nice if it had a useful effect on its entire range. Also, have you figured the values for the treble bleed on the Sus and Vol pots?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 pm 

I've noticed that there is a discrepancy between some of the values listed on the Excel spreadsheet and the schematics. Since the PCB just has cap #'s, not values, should I go by the schematic or the spreadsheet list? Thanks.