Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 pm 

Here's something I came up with when I wanted to turn a Big Muff into a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz. I already had a BMP pcb and I wanted to add the Musket Fuzz input stages to it. I borrowed a piece from IvIark's Musket Fuzz vero layout and made it so you can now basically add it to any BMP circuit. The one I built into my Musket Fuzz clone had the 10n cap installed on the BMP pcb in place of the input cap and the 1u to the Focus pot, and it works, but afterwards I figured I could have done it better. Less messy. I figure this mod might come in handy if you want to boost your muff, but don't feel like adding another pedal to your board.

Here's what Kitrae has to say about the Musket Fuzz and especially the LPB and saturation stages:

Quote:
The Blackout Effectors Musket covers the Sovtek Russian Big Muff territory very well, but this is a very versatile pedal, with much more gain and tone control than a Sovtek. It also does light overdrive tones very well, which most Big Muffs do not. Essentially this is a Sovtek Bubble Font Green/Black Russian Big Muff circuit with an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 booster circuit in the front. It has the standard volume, tone, and sustain knobs of a typical Big Muff, but there are three additional controls. One is a PRE knob (a modded LPB-1 circuit) that adds a boost of gain, sort of like what a booster/overdrive does. This is a very nice feature to have in one pedal with the Muff, and it adds some nice clarity to the monster Muff tone. In fact I wish all Big Muff clones had this feature. There is a mids knob to tailor the mid range, which is great for those of you that dislike the Big Muff mids scoop. The last control is a focus, which is sort of a saturation control for the LPB-1, to control how it blends with the input stage of the Big Muff circuit. I have not gotten that control to do much in the tone range I use, so I usually keep it at maximum saturation. Turn the fuzz knob way down, turn up the mids and pre, and this easily gets into light boost LPB-1 overdrive territory, but it is more versatile since the Big Muff tone control is also part of the same circuit. I was able to get some great creamy overdrive sounds with the fuzz dialed, the pre cranked, and the tone and mids dialed up around 75%.

The mids knob is easy to add, it's basically a 100K Log pot and a 47n cap that run parallel to the cap in the BMP tone circuit. But that's not the main focus of this particular mod.

Musket Fuzz schematic can be found here: http://www.bigmuffpage.com/images/schem ... ematic.jpg

Edit: noticed two errors, forgot the input and a resistor.