Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:56 am 

Yes! I am very interested in makind pedals that can be used with my basses and my 6 strings. What are the key components that need to be selected for such use? I want to handle the lows of the bass and the highs of the 6 string. Maybe we can even mark on the outer shell the preferred range for each instrument? So curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:22 pm 

Depending on the circuit, that could be pretty tough! Most of the coupling caps in the signal path need to be swapped to convert from guitar use to bass use. Smaller value caps cut the unneeded lows out to tighten up a guitar sound. Bigger caps will let the bass thru, but often leave your guitar sounding muddy and undefined, or waste precious gain amplifying low frequencies that aren't even present in your guitar signal.

Needless to say, the changes needed for conversion will be different for every circuit. It would be possible for many circuits, but you might find yourself needing a microcontroller to run lots of solid-state relays to swap those caps in and out... or maybe some kind of double throw, MULTI-pole switch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:46 pm 

The only ones you'll really need a bass modified pedal is the overdrives. As a bassist myself, I've never had any issues. The chorus lends itself to bass very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:29 am 

You guys are awesome. Thanks. I suppose a toggle switch could come in handy for an OD or Distortion pedal. Or perhaps dual inputs, 2 circuits all together? Probably cheaper and quicker to share as many components w a toggle switch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:25 am 

Hey, I have since had some success with a Lil Beave Muff, the Russian has always been called "bass friendly". I increased the input and output Caps to 1uF and had no complaints with bassists. I also just made a few RAT circuits that ups the 4.7uF cap in the feedback loop to 10uf with a 450R to open up the bass to let in as low as 35Hz for a bassists down to Drop D. I'm new at these RC filter combinations, but in theory as far as I can understand. this is how it would work, and no complaints. There is a Fat RAT model that adds bass with a similar circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:55 am 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
Depending on the circuit, that could be pretty tough! Most of the coupling caps in the signal path need to be swapped to convert from guitar use to bass use. Smaller value caps cut the unneeded lows out to tighten up a guitar sound. Bigger caps will let the bass thru, but often leave your guitar sounding muddy and undefined, or waste precious gain amplifying low frequencies that aren't even present in your guitar signal.

Needless to say, the changes needed for conversion will be different for every circuit. It would be possible for many circuits, but you might find yourself needing a microcontroller to run lots of solid-state relays to swap those caps in and out... or maybe some kind of double throw, MULTI-pole switch.

Any thoughts to being able to fine tune those lows for the guitarist who isn't utilizing those frequencies? I always assumed I could use a different pot for the tone control. Not sure it works that way... It's already great for bassists and tuned down doom/sludge guitarists. But for the standard tuned 6 string, I'd like them to have more control of the now wide open low end.