Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 pm 

Hi,

Im getting prepared to start building the flanger and modding it for bass. Im a bit confused about the mods for the high pass filter in the instructions. It says you want to mod the high pass filter to let less bass through. Im probably not understanding the point, but wouldn't you want more bass to come through, therefore increasing the 33n cap?

Thanks for your help,

-Dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:43 am 

Hey man did u get this built and modded? If so hows it sound on bass? Needing to build a bass flanger :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 am 
You may have figured this out already but the BYOC instructions say -

8. MODIFYING FOR BASS - Bass modulation FX typically differ from guitar
modulation FX in two ways. 1. They usually have less wet signal and more dry signal. 2.
The wet signal is usually filtered so that it affects more of the high frequencies and less of
the low frequencies.

So yes they are saying adjust the filters for less bass. I think this is because the comb filter flanging effect is most obvious on the higher frequencies which the bass is naturally lacking. So you need to emphasise the highs to give the effect something to work on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:09 am 

I know some guys were saying they add a blend knob for bass effects to take out or give more clean signal and change the value of the input or output caps...is there a place where a newb can learn 1. how to add that blend, and 2. what caps they are talking about? I pretty much just follow the directions or paint by number on veros lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:16 pm 

C1 is the input cap, and C19 and C21 are the output caps (there are two as there are stereo outputs)
There are quite a few blender circuits out there. THIS is a good one You'd probably want to increase the values of it's input and output caps too. (C1 and C6) If you'd like a board, I think I've got one somewhere.
* :idea: edit, just looking at the flanger schem again, it looks like an adjustable wet/dry blend could be added to where R25, R26 and R27 junction. It could be as simple as removing those three resistors (or lowering their value,) and adding a pot.(maybe try B50k)
** :idea: double edit- Note to self, use the search button, handily located at the top right of the screen.
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38283&hilit=flanger+blend

codtone.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:09 pm 

lmao! thanks 'Geddon...now the question that reveals even more of my uber-newbness...how do I hook a pot up there?

Thanks for searchin for me lol

DT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:50 pm 

This is unverified, so please let me know how it goes. :mrgreen:
As mentioned in the thread linked above, adding a smallish resistor in series with lug 2 may be required.

codtone.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:24 pm 

Thanks man...and I just realized Im a bigger idiot than I thought...Im workin with mb's current lover lol ill post the image for the pcb when i get home (i was posting in both forums and got messed up lol)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:09 pm 

DrThunder wrote:
...and I just realized Im a bigger idiot than I thought...Im workin with mb's current lover lol

Well that's a bummer, as you can see, I had the codtone graphics team working all morning on that diagram. As they're all monkeys, it's actually pretty tough to get them to do anything productive.
Now I'll have to verify my own work too. :wink:

The hacker in me thinks you might be able to exploit the 'zero flange' part of the madbean board to inject a dry blend, but I haven't built that one (yet), so I'll leave that for better minds than mine.

codtone.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:31 pm 

Oh my god lmfao did not see that coming lol sorry for wastin the bananas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:51 am 

Me and the team got around to checking out this mod. Read about it HERE. :D

codtone.com