Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Leeds Fuzz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm 

Hey, are there any good bass mods for a leeds fuzz? I built one a while back, and it just isn't quite as thick sounding as I want it to be. Advice?

ps
I know doubling the caps will help, but is that a good path to go with this one?

Post subject: Re: Leeds Fuzz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:42 pm 
As far as I can see all the coupling caps are more than big enough to give you plenty of low end response for a bass.

There are two things to consider though - the Leeds Fuzz generates a strong octave up component and the input pre-amp built around Q1 AND Q2 has a feedback circuit around it that provides +8dB of mid boost centred at 500Hz. That is mainly determined by C3 a 100nF. If you disconnect this cap you get a flat response down to below 10Hz. There is also C2 2.2nF that rolls off the top end so that it is -3dB down at 5KHz.

So - you can try just disconnecting C3 or you can try doubling C3 and C2 to move the mid hump down an octave. You might also want to double the caps C12 and C13 in the switched tone control. All the other caps in the circuit appear to be more than big enough.

You can also disconnect C8 to lose the octave effect in favour of a straight fuzz. And running any distortion pedal with a graphic or parametric equaliser on its output allows for a whole world of tone shaping.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:27 pm 

Thanks for the help, I had a hunch about those cap values in general, they seemed pretty high. Would you recommend removing the octave component of the circuit? Would that help beef it up at all or just make it sound flat? Cause, it sounds pretty flat to begin with if you hit a lower string (low on the A or pretty well anywhere on the E).
As for the cap value alterations, I think I will try doubling, and if that doesn't work, just look to sell and build a Woolly Mammoth instead. :P Out of curiosity, what voltage caps do I need to buy? I am pretty new to all this, and don't want to screw this part up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm 

hey stu,

when buying caps, stick with ones rated over the voltage you need, but not WAY over. with this pedal running on 9V, you're probably best of with caps rated for somewhere between 16 and 63V. 25V caps might be a good blend of physical size vs. safety margin.

and speaking of blend... I gotta say that the single best thing you can do to use any effect with bass (well, nearly any) is to install a clean blend circuit. This will preserve all the low end of your clean signal while keeping the sound of the pedal. This is particularly useful in distortion circuits!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:22 pm 

Thanks for advice on voltage. I am looking at mammoth right now, should I go audio rated or general? Does it matter?

As for the clean blend... What would your difficulty rating out of 10 be on that one? :wink: