Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 pm 

I am loving my new PRRI, but am afraid it will not make the cut in a live situation. The headroom is pretty low, but the cleans are to die for. I've been reading a lot about potential mods but figured I'd ask the resident amp gurus here before pursuing one.

I've been reading wonderful things about replacing the inefficient Jensen with a Weber F150T 50W w/ light dope to increase not only headroom but loudness. I'd prefer not to go to a 12 and new baffle since many seem to get what they want out of a 10. Can anyone confirm that this speaker can/will deliver?

I've read numerous things about replacing the 12AX7's with 12AY7's for headroom as well, but if volume will be sacrificed I may just buy some NOS or maybe NS lower-gain 12AX7's.

Trannie talk: Considering swapping the stock one out for the Heyboer TO20 from Bill M as well. Is this something I could do myself if I took all the safety precautions (draining caps, etc.)?

Has anyone here performed any of these (or other) mods to a PRRI w/ substantial results?

This amp gets me about 95% there for the tones I've always wanted, so I'd rather get this one up to snuff than go amp shopping again. Just a couple more dB's and some headroom, if possible, is all I seek. :|

"Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold - They'd rather give you a song than diamonds or gold." - Sir Waylon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:43 am 

Extension speaker cab.

An open back 2-12 will sound great.

Electronically there are a few things you could do but it'll change the sound you love. Off the top of my head, increasing B+ will get a cleaner sound. I looked for the schem and can't find it. Does it use a rectifier tube? You could try using a solid state replacement. Without seeing a schem I couldn't wholeheartedly recomend this though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am 

Microphone and monitor. If the cleans are to die for and it takes pedals well then use the PA to your advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:20 am 

Knight of Cups wrote:
Extension speaker cab.

An open back 2-12 will sound great.

Electronically there are a few things you could do but it'll change the sound you love. Off the top of my head, increasing B+ will get a cleaner sound. I looked for the schem and can't find it. Does it use a rectifier tube? You could try using a solid state replacement. Without seeing a schem I couldn't wholeheartedly recomend this though.

I've been meaning to get a cab anyways, so this may be a good option for me as I'd prefer not to do anything too invasive. It has a 5AR4 rectifier. I think Weber has a SS replacement, but I haven't confirmed this yet.

JohnL wrote:
Microphone and monitor. If the cleans are to die for and it takes pedals well then use the PA to your advantage.

Though that would definitely be a must at a gig, I was hoping to find a way to have the clean tones louder even when playing at home.

After a lot of speaker comparisons/thread reading, I ordered a 50W Weber 10F150T. Every account claims that it increases headroom (if only by a small amount) and is louder than the stock speaker.

"Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold - They'd rather give you a song than diamonds or gold." - Sir Waylon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:21 am 
Site Admin

JohnL wrote:

Word. I don't know why this simple solution is always overlooked or ignored. If your amp sounds exactly the way you like, but you wish it was louder, don't change it, just mic it.

But if we're going to talk about mods....

take a look at the Deluxe reverb schematic. Aside from the Deluxe having two channels, the two amps are identical in every way with the exception of the PT and OT(which you cannot see from the schematic). You could swap the PT for more voltage/current (and switching to a solid state rectifier would be a good idea too), and using a deluxe OT will increase the headroom too. Or you could replace the OT with a twin reverb OT or something similar and use 6L6s. That would give you a lot more volume.

Swapping the preamp tubes would probably be the best and easiest place to start. Reducing gain, doesn't always equate to less volume, but it does usually mean more headroom. Or you could try increasing the value of the resistor to ground off the cathode of the first tube. This will decrease the gain. This mod is a must for modern 5E3 builds. Originally the 5E3 had a 820 ohm resistor in this place, but it also used a 12AU7. Most other fender designs have a 1.5k resistor with 12AX7, which equates to similar gain. Most kits on the market today still use the 820 ohm with a 12AX7. This is too much gain and makes the amp have zero clean tones and too flubby when dimed.

*edit* that would be a 12AY7, not 12AU7.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Last edited by byoc on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Admin

whitebread47 wrote:

Though that would definitely be a must at a gig, I was hoping to find a way to have the clean tones louder even when playing at home.

What? You mean you don't mic your amp and play though a PA when you practice at home?!?!?!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:26 am 
Site Admin

byoc wrote:
JohnL wrote:

Word. I don't know why this simple solution is always overlooked or ignored. If your amp sounds exactly the way you like, but you wish it was louder, don't change it, just mic it.

But if we're going to talk about mods....

take a look at the Deluxe reverb schematic. Aside from the Deluxe having two channels, the two amps are identical in every way with the exception of the PT and OT(which you can see from the schematic). You could swap the PT for more voltage/current (and switching to a solid state rectifier would be a good idea too), and using a deluxe OT will increase the headroom too. Or you could replace the OT with a twin reverb OT or something similar and use 6L6s.

Oh...and the phase inverter is a bit different between the two, but that doesn't account for any extra headroom or output.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:10 pm 

byoc wrote:
whitebread47 wrote:

What? You mean you don't mic your amp and play though a PA when you practice at home?!?!?!

Damn, I didn't know I should either :lol: My wife always yells down "can you turn that up!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 am 

And as far as mics go, the Sennheiser e609 is dynamite in this application. Many people (including me) also like the Shure SM-57 or the Sennheiser 451.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 am 

Figured I'd update this thread. I got the Weber in a while ago and it definitely raised the headroom from about 4-5 on the dial with the stock speaker to about 5-6 with the Weber. Though the Weber is breaking in at this point, some sweetness is lost, but is does add enough volume for me to overlook that.

I've decided not to do any invasive modifications to the circuit, because a) it is still under warranty and fairly new, and b) I'll probably try a 2x12 open back cab first. Of course, I do have my eyes on another amp. :roll:

I have a small outdoor gig way off in May (close friend's wedding), so I have a feeling something more than a Princeton is needed and due to limited space, I don't think the miking thing will be an option.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:20 pm 

whitebread47 wrote:
Of course, I do have my eyes on another amp.....I have a feeling something more than a Princeton is needed and due to limited space, I don't think the miking thing will be an option.

One of these?? More headroom than a cathedral! ;)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:24 pm 

Somewhat close but not quite, DVM! I'm eyeing the Vibrolux. I couldn't imagine needing more than that, and it's only about $100 more than the DRRI new. There's a local guy selling an exemplary SF Vibrolux for a fair price, so here's to hoping it doesn't sell before I collect the funds!