Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:07 am 

** EDIT 11/26/12 **

The issues noted in the posts below pertain to the original rev. 1.0.0 of the Tweed Royal instructions. Corrected build instructions (rev. 1.0.1) are now available at http://byocelectronics.com/tweedroyalinstructions.pdf

The instructions are now actually directing to the proper version 12/05/2014 -Nick

===============

There is an error on page 105 of the TR's build guide. It says to connect Volume 2's wiper to C2 when it should be connected to C3. Volume 1's wiper was already connected to C2 on page 104

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:34 am 

** EDIT 11/26/12 **

Corrected Tweed Royal build instructions (rev. 1.0.1) are now available at http://buildyourownclone.com/tweedroyalinstructions.pdf

=====================

Looks like the wrong diagram was used, because the connection not only starts at the wrong capacitor, but connects to the Volume 1 pot, right next to the input jacks.

I brought this and several other errors/omissions to Keith's attention; a corrected version of the instructions should be posted within a few days. Not surprising that a 140 page document might have a few mistakes! Keith also tells me that there are an additional 20 pages of photos to be added for the chassis wiring to the turret board, rotary switch and tube filament heaters.

In the meantime, we'll post a list of the known errors here, and add any more that might be discovered in the meantime:

pg. 5 - Parts Checklist shows two 0.022uf axial leaded film capacitors, but the kit only uses one.

pg. 22 - Doesn't say which length of which of the two lengths of yellow wire goes where, and doesn't mention measuring & cutting the black wire at all. Following the directions for cutting and stripping the yellow wires, the instructions should say:

"Then, insert the 2.5" yellow wire into terminal lug with the second 68k resistor, shown above on right. Insert the 3.5" yellow wire into the terminal lug with the third 0.1uf cap & 100k resistor. Next, cut a 2.5” piece of black wire. Strip 1/8” of cover off both ends. Insert the black wire into the upper terminal lug with the 1.5k resistor, as shown above."

pg. 47 - Photo is missing green arrow for solder joint; should point to the eyelet with the brown wire inserted, at the top of the photo next to the white wire.

pg. 52 - Text should say "Route the blue, red and brown wires through the grommet closest to the power transformer."

pp. 52 & 53 - Should specify #6 screw sizes for mounting the two OT's.

pg. 60 - Rotary switch pictured has solder lugs, not PC mount terminals, as the text says.

pg. 65 - Wrong photo, quite clearly

pg. 105 - Wrong diagram, as described above; shows Vol1 pot & wire connection; should show Vol2 connection as below:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:59 pm 

groovington wrote:
A couple wire length updates for some of you...as I placed the turret board into its place inside the chassis and then followed the tr_wiring diagram/layout picture and made sure that I had enough (and not too much) wire length before moving any further. Please let me know if any of you disagree or feel differently about these:

pg 13 - black ground wire from 1st 16uf cap should probably be about 3.5" to be able to reach the ground screw. And the brown wire can probably be shorter than 4" (maybe 2.5" or shorter) as it is right next to the to 6v6 tube sockets where it will connect to pin 4 of each in series. Or is there away to do this all with that one length wire?

pg 30 - red wire should probably be 5.5" (or even 5.75") to reach the rotary switch.

pg 16 - yellow wire should probably be about 3-3 1/2" to reach to the 2nd preamp tube socket. And I'm not so sure why it says not to solder it, so maybe someone can chime in on that?

I feel like there may have been another, but I can't remember anymore. Like I said, please let me know if I am wrong about any of these as I don't want other builders to make a mistake because of my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 am 

I think I found another error that seems not to be mentioned above. On page 78, it refers to the orange wire from TRPT1, but I think it must actually be the orange wire from TROT2, as that is the only orange wire. Is that correct?

Also, the link for updated version of the instructions (Rev. 1.0.1) above seems to be broken and the link on the product page goes to the original version with the errors. Are there, in fact, updated instructions?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:33 am 

Top_Ten wrote:
I think I found another error that seems not to be mentioned above. On page 78, it refers to the orange wire from TRPT1, but I think it must actually be the orange wire from TROT2, as that is the only orange wire. Is that correct?

Correct - the orange wire actually comes from TROT2. And the instructions do seem to still have the errors! We'll keep on BYOC to have them corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 am 

Thanks very much, Morgan -- I appreciate the reply.

One more question: I installed the wires coming off the turret board using the lengths in the original instructions, before I saw the comments on this board about the lengths being too short. Do you think I'll be OK or will I need to lengthen or reinstall the wires?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:37 am 

It's been quite a while since I built mine. You should be able to dry fit the turret board into the chassis and do a quick check on where the wires go to see if they are long enough or not. I believe they are all long enough, just some of them might be a bit of a stretch. Also, BYOC is uploading the revised instructions right now with all of Stephens and Duhvoodoomans corrections.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:18 pm 

Hey Guys -

Somehow I missed reading this thread and I'm about at the point of the first power-up testing sequence... as is noted in this thread I had to lengthen several hook up wires to reach where they needed to go. But that's not why I'm posting...

I started building my kit in June, and all along I thought I was using build instructions rev 1.0.1, but I actually had rev 1.0 (per noted above that BYOC uploaded rev 1.0.1 last week).

Regardless about the rev number of the instructions, I followed the high resolution wiring diagram, because it gave me a good overall view of where all the connections should be made.

http://byocelectronics.com/TR-Wiring.pdf

In practical terms what I mean by this is, if I was in doubt about where a connection should be made by a conflict between one of the build instruction's diagrams and the wiring diagram, I placed more weight on the wiring diagram and followed it.

Sorry to be long winded in the set-up for my question, but here it is...

Can someone clarify whether the wiring diagram is correct?

I'd like to know before my initial power-up whether I built the amp correctly?

Thanks!
--meltunes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:39 pm 

Meltunes wrote:
Can someone clarify whether the wiring diagram is correct?

Yes, that's the correct wiring diagram.

Be sure to follow the detailed "Turning your amp on for the first time" sequence near the end of the TR instructions.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:19 pm 

Thank you so much for the clarification and the reminder about the importance of the power-up sequence.

Much appreciated...
Meltunes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:17 pm 

I'm about to start building my TR, but the 1.0.1 instructions seem to be MIA. Neither the links in this thread nor on the Tweed Royal's page on the main BYOC website are correct; they all go to the 1.0 instructions. Can someone please post the updated PDF?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:20 pm 

lincolnic wrote:
I'm about to start building my TR, but the 1.0.1 instructions seem to be MIA. Neither the links in this thread nor on the Tweed Royal's page on the main BYOC website are correct; they all go to the 1.0 instructions. Can someone please post the updated PDF?

sorry about that. it is uploading right now. I will update this thread when its on the server.

Updated the file. now directing correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:35 pm 

Awesome. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:48 pm 

This is still incorrect by the way. Can someone update the instruction document? I spent 30 minutes just trying to figure out if I was color blind.

Morgan wrote:
Top_Ten wrote:

Correct - the orange wire actually comes from TROT2. And the instructions do seem to still have the errors! We'll keep on BYOC to have them corrected.