Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Record player amp
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:43 pm 

Has anyone done this? I have one that is suitable because it has a transformer. I just can't figure out how to turn the needle input into a 1/4 jack. It's a red and white wire, one buzzes one doesn't.. Here is the schematic.

Any help would be awesome

Post subject: Re: Record player amp
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:08 pm 

Googling "record player tube amp into guitar amp"

nets a butt ton of hits.

one of which says:

Quote:
Hey folks, thanks for letting me join your forums. Im a total amature at the tube amp game, but know enough that I can do some general stuff. Handy with a soldering iron. Given that I have a very old single tube amp with 1 25EH5 tube in it and thought it would make a very cool litte guitar amp, and a good starter project to enter in to the tub amp building world. First off is it possible to convert this small bit to a useable guitar amp?
And if so where do I start. Ive been unable as of yet to find schematics for it but could post a photo of the curcuitry
Thanks

Quote:
xbolanx, those little amplifiers were designed for use with a line level input(ceramic phono cartridge, CD, tuner, cassette) which is called a high level input. Guitar pickups and microphones have the exact same impedances known as low level inputs. You would need (for example) a separate pre-amp with a phono or microphone input so you could use a guitar with that amplifier. Otherwise, if you're electronic savvy, you would have to build one

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the advice, I was actually planning on using a mic preamp in line with it. The Idea was to make the apm functional and then use the +/- wires that extend to the Stylus (needle) and installing an XLR jack. then using the XLR out on the mic preamp and the 1/4 inch to plug my guitar into.
Since finding this little project I have also come across an ancient GE bakelite tube radio and was going to attempt the same. if the results to either were favourable I might concider building a preamp curcuit instead of using the mic preamp. Can you recomend a schematic for that ?

Quote:
you're going to have to remove the RIAA equalization circuit for proper frequency response. It'll probably be a RC network following the first gain stage...

A lot of the articles talk about removing the RIAA EQ circuit.

Dan

http://www.danielzink.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm 

That amp does not have a power transformer, which is very dangerous. I urge you not to do what you're planning on doing, and instead do a little more research. Please read up on powering a devise without a power transformer so you understand why it's dangerous, then decide how you'd like to proceed (temporary or permanent isolation transformer)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm 

defaced wrote:
That amp does not have a power transformer, which is very dangerous. I urge you not to do what you're planning on doing, and instead do a little more research. Please read up on powering a devise without a power transformer so you understand why it's dangerous, then decide how you'd like to proceed (temporary or permanent isolation transformer)

Ohh... I must have miss read the schematic.. I haven't done anything to it yet... I understand the dangers. I was trying to glean more information from regular builders, not just someone who did a one off build. Do you think perhaps I should build the firefly or something similar first before I hack something?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm 

Cool, you know the dangers. That's a hard one for people to accept sometimes. My first tube project was a hacked up Peavey Mace 100w amp, so I can't recommend much more than what I did: I hung out at music electronics forum (you may want to post this over there, tons of good talent hang out on that forum) and just browsed through the theory & design section, page by page. And when I got board there or my brain started oozing out of my head, I'd go over to the maintenance and repair section and see what guys were fixing. I also read every article Aiken had on his tech pages. Those two sources are how I got my head around this stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm 

defaced wrote:
Cool, you know the dangers. That's a hard one for people to accept sometimes. My first tube project was a hacked up Peavey Mace 100w amp, so I can't recommend much more than what I did: I hung out at music electronics forum (you may want to post this over there, tons of good talent hang out on that forum) and just browsed through the theory & design section, page by page. And when I got board there or my brain started oozing out of my head, I'd go over to the maintenance and repair section and see what guys were fixing. I also read every article Aiken had on his tech pages. Those two sources are how I got my head around this stuff.

Yeah, I don't feel like being fried..Again, lol. I have a vintage Silvertone 1471 117v 60C 30w 25A. But I don't really feel like messing with that amp, it's a studio only amp. I also have a Fender pa 100 that I plan on having different tone stacks put in. But it's 100w..I want something I can use on a daily basis, any ideas?