Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 am 

Hi, it’s been a while since I picked up solder but am wanting to build the TR.

For those who’ve built them with a VVR fitted, what are the results like and where works best for placement (ie scaling the whole amp or only the power section)?

Reason being I’m living in a Victorian terrace and sound travels right through from and into the neighbouring properties (and the guy next door is deaf, which means we share his taste in TV; probably also means he won’t care a jot about living next door to a guitar but nevertheless I feel I should at least make an effort to be neighbourly).

I’m thinking of the VVR sold by ampmaker here in the UK. If anyone knows of others available in the UK or Europe I’d be glad to hear of them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:48 am 

Have you read through THIS?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am 

In in addition to the info DVM linked to, scaling the whole amp is the way to go with tweed amps like this. The preamp, phase inverter, and power tubes all generate their own distortion in these circuits, so it's generally best to scale the whole amp to keep that balance. Otherwise you tend to get a ton of PI distortion of you don't scale the preamp, or zero headroom if you scale only the power amp. Plus, there are issues with scaling just part of this circuit, because of the dual output transformers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:48 am 

Thanks both. DVM, the link’s showing as broken but I think you probably mean your post in the TR mods sticky? Be interested to know how the amp performs with a VVR in it, there don’t seem to be demos available showing how what the attenuation performance is like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:25 pm 

Hmm, link works fine for me--maybe you are trying to access with your phone? That often fails to work here, for whatever reason.

I can't offer a demo for my modded TR, but can tell you that the amp sounds great to my ear. For "happy home" volume levels, I typically set the VVR pot around 11 o'clock. I jumper the two inputs together and then set their volume controls somewhere in the 50 - 100% range, depending upon how dirty and bright (ratio of Bright to Normal volume settings) I want the output to be, as a baseline. Then I can tweak it further with the Tone and Cut controls. You can definitely get that grungy Neil Young tweed tone this way without blowing out your eardrums.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2