Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Near complete TMB 18
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:56 pm 

I am around 10 hours into this build,,, yea. I'm slow and occasionally not sure.... Lol! I had some issues on the power up.... Some fluctuating voltages with the rectifier tube... Double/ triple / quaddriple checked all my wiring did have the resister between the tone and volume pot on the wrong leg.... That wouldn't cause the fluctuating voltages... I figured it was safe to move on... I installed the test of the tubes all glowing nice.... Took it out of standby and crackle, crackle, flash from the rectifier tube.......not the socket did but the top.. went back double/ triple/quaddriple checked wiring again.... All good..... All solder joints look good..... Started tug testing and low and behold,,, green/ yellow wire pulled right out... Soldering looked good from the top but the other wire on that ground lug was obscureing my view !! The xformer wire was just floating in the lug hole... Found a cold joint on one of the preamp tubes as well... Took the 35 seconds to fix the issues,,, Shure wish it hadn't taken 3 hours to find them... But it's working fabulous !!!! Doing the FX loop install now.. and than tidy up everything before going into my 1X12 cab .... Cheers !!! and thanks to Keith for taking the time to assist yesterday...ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Near complete TMB 18
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:56 pm 

Looking good.

Re: the problems you had on start-up: as moderator Stephen is very fond of saying...."It's your soldering!!" :wink:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:54 pm 

Ha!! Yea,,, if you didn't see the solder flow everywhere you need it than it didn't.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:35 pm 

Here is a picture of it in the 1/12 cab.... Still some dialing in to do.....not sure if I will have enough headroom with this amp.. it's got a great warm tone though!!! It my not stay clean enough ... Perhaps if I can figure out how to get the FX loop to work through all the inputs . Right now it only works through the MV input...