Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:19 pm 

a local musician built one of these BYOC amp kits and brought it to me for reworking.

are these some crazy ROHS turrets for lead-free solder? There is nothing in the instruction that suggests that leaded solder is not to be used. the turrets refuse to accept solder at any heat level. Every single joint in the amp needs to be redone. you can break every component or wire free of the turret with minimal force.

anyone have any suggestions? ive tried removing all components and thoroughly cleaning the turret to no avail.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:49 am 

I have built hundreds of pedals and only one amp, so grain of salt and all that. The amp kit turrets were the only time I ever needed to use flux paste. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 am 

I've built 5 of the BYOC "British" amp kits that use the same basic turret board and have never run into what you're describing. While I've found that it takes a longer application of heat to the turret due to its greater thermal mass, I've never had any problem getting standard leaded solder to wet & adhere properly to these turrets. I use a Hakko 936 station set to 700F with a 1/8" chisel tip.

Do you happen to know when the kit was purchased? They haven't been available for quite some time now.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
I have built hundreds of pedals and only one amp, so grain of salt and all that. The amp kit turrets were the only time I ever needed to use flux paste. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

I have tried flux paste and liquid flux after deep cleaning a couple of the turrets, great suggestion though, thanks.

Last edited by hermetic on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:15 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I've built 5 of the BYOC "British" amp kits that use the same basic turret board and have never run into what you're describing. While I've found that it takes a longer application of heat to the turret due to its greater thermal mass, I've never had any problem getting standard leaded solder to wet & adhere properly to these turrets. I use a Hakko 936 station set to 700F with a 1/8" chisel tip.

Do you happen to know when the kit was purchased? They haven't been available for quite some time now.

Not sure when it was purchased. the builder is off the radar currently.

I have tried both my haako 888d up to 800+ degrees and my weller ws51 adjustable station. using both old faithful radio shack 60/40 as well as new stock Kester 60/40 allowing plenty of time heating the turret with a wide chisel tip for surface area. I’ll def try hitting them longer, was trying to avoid wire and component damage the best I can.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:45 pm 

hermetic wrote:
I have tried both my haako 888d up to 800+ degrees and my weller ws51 adjustable station. using both old faithful radio shack 60/40 as well as new stock Kester 60/40 allowing plenty of time heating the turret with a wide chisel tip for surface area. I’ll def try hitting them longer, was trying to avoid wire and component damage the best I can.

I have an old 8 oz. roll of Rat Shack 60/40 .062" diam. rosin core solder that I prefer for amp work rather than the Kester 63/37 .031 stuff I use for pedal builds and repairs. I like the more rapid application of solder it gives, but maybe the higher load of rosin flux in this larger diameter solder aids in getting good adhesion to the turrets?? Just guessing here....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

It could have a bit of corrosion or oxidization. Maybe try hitting one of the lugs very lightly with some emory cloth and see if that improves things.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 am 

You might also want to try wiping off a couple of the turrets using mineral spirits or paint thinner, in case they have somehow been coated with some organic oil or grease.