Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:56 pm 

was so proud and was trying a bunch of stuff, different speaker cabinets, different power tubes and I made the fatal mistake of forgetting to plug in a speaker...... Ya, ya I know. :x I heard a pop and saw smoke. Happened before I could hit the strings on the guitar. I'm glad everything was sealed up, the 25uf 25v electrolytic cap near the bias resistor exploded. (only thing left was the 2 leads and shrapnel) Hopefully the OT is ok. I'm in the process of getting a new cap and run through the tests again. What are the chances the OT transformer is cooked? I have no experience with burned out OTs.

Thanks for the compliments and help along the way. Once I get it working again, I'll try to get some sounds bytes to you'all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

If it was only for a few seconds, the OT is probably fine.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:23 pm 

Thanks Keith! I've been doing some reading and reviewing a little more in depth how the circuit works. Basically I put the amp into a loop (ex-programmer) increasing in voltage or amperage (not sure of both) to try to meet the infinite requirement of no load. The 6V6 power tube seems fine (tried it in another amp after testing it), beside the 25uf cap, the 220K resistor also cooked and split. Haley is sending me a the cap and I had an extra 220K resistor in the spare parts bin. Should be fine. Really good idea to have the ability to run a 6L6. Before my mistake I was playing thru a 2x12 cabinet and things sounded great. I would be nice to play out with a real tube amp that weighs almost nothing. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:53 pm 

Thanks Keith, replaced the cap and the resistor and it's up and running fine.

Thanks again! :D