Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:11 pm 

I have a 18W TMB kit that I just completed. My TMB channel is dead quiet and my normal channel has some noise in it. I think the noise in the normal channel could be dirty input voltage since im using the outlet on my work bench. I’d like to trace the signal and saw in other posts about building a probe to do this. I don’t understand how to build it. Any instructions and/or pictures on how to build it? Is it used like the probe that is sold for the pedals? I want to try and troubleshoot before I come seeking help.

Can I use an oscilloscope to chase the signal? I’ve used them in solid state circuits, but never a tube circuit. If I can use, what precautions must be taken?

Final question, when I turn on the main power, but still in standby, the EL84 farthest from the dual capacitor heater "flares" but then dims back to a normal level. Is this normal?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Mapka2000 wrote:
I have a 18W TMB kit that I just completed. My TMB channel is dead quiet and my normal channel has some noise in it. I think the noise in the normal channel could be dirty input voltage since im using the outlet on my work bench. I’d like to trace the signal and saw in other posts about building a probe to do this. I don’t understand how to build it. Any instructions and/or pictures on how to build it? Is it used like the probe that is sold for the pedals? I want to try and troubleshoot before I come seeking help.

Can I use an oscilloscope to chase the signal? I’ve used them in solid state circuits, but never a tube circuit. If I can use, what precautions must be taken?

Final question, when I turn on the main power, but still in standby, the EL84 farthest from the dual capacitor heater "flares" but then dims back to a normal level. Is this normal?

You can't use a "signal tester" for this. Well...I suppose you could if you were only testing the preamp section of the circuit, but you'd need to use a capacitor with a much higher voltage rating than the one we supply with our signal tester kit.

But if you have an oscilloscope, then you should definitely just use that. Use it the same way you did with the solid state circuits.

No, it is not normal to see heater flares.

If you need further help, please post pics.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:33 pm 

I swalped the 2 EL84 tubes and the flaring followed the tube. Seems some tubes do this and I can live with it for now. Got my TMB channel sorted out and it is working. My normal channel however has a buzz. Seems to change with the tone knob so I'm thinking something in the V1b circuit is the problem. Maybe C1 bad solder joint?

Last edited by duhvoodooman on Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube video coding

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:39 pm 

I found the culprit. Bad solder joint on input jack. Look more like a ball then a cone!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:52 pm 

Yep, only takes one! Glad to hear you found it!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2