Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:16 am 

I have a version 1 Crown Royal kit (purchased a little while back from your Canadian distributor).

Looking at the instructions, it appears that the only changes are the different charge pump and the substitution of two different diodes for 2 of the 1N4001s.

Is that it? Should it update my kit with the new parts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 am 

The two diodes won't make a difference, but the charge pump might. It seems the previous one had some issues playing well with others on rare occasions. I have version 1 and the old charge pump and it has been fine, so YMMV. Maybe just use the old one and replace it if you run into a problem.

One more difference: the V1.1 pcb is set up for a quick addition of the add-on mixer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:20 am 

Ok thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:06 pm 

mmarsh wrote:
The two diodes won't make a difference, but the charge pump might. It seems the previous one had some issues playing well with others on rare occasions.

To elaborate a bit on Mike's comments, the new diodes are the 1N5817 Schottky type, which have a very low forward voltage threshold--only a couple of tenths of a volt at the current levels in this pedal circuit. This keeps the voltage drop minimal on the +18V side of the charge pump. You'll only lose about 0.4V or so vs. the nearly 2V loss with 1N4001's. And the LT1054 charge pump is significantly more robust than the 7660 types; it'll put out more current and doesn't seem to suffer from the compatibility issues that Mike mentioned. I've been using them for a few years now and have yet to have a single problem with the 1054.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:36 am 
Site Admin

The changes in V1.1 were done to make it easier to install the add-on dry blend board. There were a few components moved around and a few off-board wiring eyelets added. We changed the 1N4001 diodes to 1N5718 to squeeze a little extra voltage out of the charge pump. Changing the 7660 to the 1054 provides extra current for the add-on board. I'm not sure what progress has been made on the issue, but it may be possible that some digital modelling effects (particularly those from Line6 and Strymon) do not deal well with other pedals that use charge pumps. It has been suggested that using a 1054 may fix the problem. So I'm not sure if that helps or not, but it certainly doesn't hurt. That's not why we switched though. We switched because the add-on board put the Crown Jewel's total current draw over what the 7660 could provide.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:05 pm 

Can the 1054 directly replace the 7660 in V1.0 of the Crown Jewel? I’ve been having some noise issues with certain settings on an Eventide pedal when the Crown Jewel is in front of it. Strangely, the two pedals got along fine for several months until very recently.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 am 

Maverick21 wrote:
Can the 1054 directly replace the 7660 in V1.0 of the Crown Jewel?

Yes, it can.

Maverick21 wrote:
I’ve been having some noise issues with certain settings on an Eventide pedal when the Crown Jewel is in front of it. Strangely, the two pedals got along fine for several months until very recently.

That seems odd. Have you made any other changes to your signal chain that would correlate to the onset of this noise issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:03 am 

The only (relatively) recent change in the signal chain was swapping in a JFET boost module for a MOSFET boost. The new combo was working for awhile. Taking the Crown Jewel out of the chain eliminates the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:41 pm 

Odd. But I'd definitely try the 1054 charge pump IC, since it has resolved similar noise issues in the past. I always keep one or two on hand for this reason....plus they'll put out more current.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:41 pm 

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the help.