Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Silver Pony Build
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm 

Before. It was working just fine for the first few songs. I posted large pictures previously. If I resolder the gain pot lugs, should I use my desoldering sucker first or just add more? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:08 pm 

Before in my guitar path. Have to check where in the power chain from the One Stop. It was working fine for the first few songs. If I resolder the pots lugs, do I suck up the old stuff or add to it? Photos are above from when I had the initial problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 am 

It was the last pedal in the One Spot daisy chain.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:47 am 

So when I put my klon clone before the compressor, when the compressor was on, the rain disappeared. I was pretty pissed for about 15 minutes until I realized what was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:22 pm 

It was the gain pot lugs again. I resoldered and it’s all back to normal. Must have had a cold joint or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 am 

As noted in my previous posts, I have been having trouble with the gain circuit of this pedal intermittently cutting out. I have resoldered the legs of the gain pot twice before and that would seem to fix the problem but it continues to reoccur. Pressing on the on/off switch seems to intermittently short the gain circuit out. If I tap on the top of the pedal to the right of the switch, the gain returns and the pedal functions normally. It also returns if I tap near the gain pot, but requires less effort when tapping to the right of the switch. I can work with the pot legs again, but is there anything else close to the footswitch that could be causing this? Any of the wires that go to the switch? Is the casing shorting anything? There are pictures above from my previous post. Thanks again. It is a really great pedal when functioning properly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 am 

I would definitely try replacing the gain pot itself at this point. You'd need the 100K version of this pot: https://buildyourownclone.com/products/ ... =Customize

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm 

I don’t suppose the original would be under warranty...?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:49 pm 

BYOC bends over backwards to support their customers, even on a kit that was discontinued almost 3 years ago. I would contact sales@buildyourownclone.com, tell them that you've been working with the forum moderators to fix the issue, and have been advised to replace what appears to be a defective dual-gang, PC-mount B100K pot. I'm quite sure that they'll gladly send you a replacement at no cost.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:44 pm 

Thanks. They are sending one in the mail. Will it be possible to replace it without taking the the entire enclosure apart? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 pm 

You'll need to remove the "guts" of the pedal from the enclosure to do the pot replacement, but it's not hard in the least. The only things that need to be de-soldered are the three wire connections to the DC jack. Otherwise, it's just a matter of removing the knobs and unscrewing the nuts on the three pots, the footswitch and the two I/O jacks and then lifting the entire assembly out of the enclosure.

Removal of the original gain pot is the more challenging task. You've got six solder joints to free up, since all six of those pot legs need to be free of the eyelets in order to safely remove the pot without damage to the PCB. The key is (1) having the right tools & supplies for de-soldering, and (2) staying patient throughout the process and not forcing anything, since this is how PCB damage commonly occurs.

First, you want to get yourself a "solder sucker" to remove as much of the solder from each joint as possible, and then use good quality de-soldering braid to absorb the remaining traces of solder until each leg is free of its eyelet. Neither one of these is expensive--you should be able to get both for under $10 total, not counting shipping costs.

As you remove the pot, be sure NOT to apply any significant amount of force when removing any of the legs. This is how the eyelets on the PCB get damaged or ripped loose, which then causes bigger problems in repairing the pedal. PATIENCE IS KEY!!

Once the old pot is out, use the solder sucker and de-soldering braid to clean out residual solder from the six eyelets on the PCB and from the holes on the DC jack solder tabs. Here's how I recommend re-assembling the pedal:

• Install the new gain pot by first mounting it loosely in the enclosure and then setting the PCB assembly down into the enclosure with the 6 pot legs sliding into their respective eyelets on the PCB. This may take a bit of finagling and gentle bending of the legs to get the correct alignment.
  • The two soldered pots and the footswitch should be inserted through their respective holes and then fastened into place with their washers & nuts. Do NOT insert the I/O jacks into their holes yet--leave them dangling by their wire connections inside the enclosure so that you have room for the next step.
  • Solder the three disconnected wires back onto the DC jack, being sure to get them in their correct positions; refer to the instructions for the connections.
  • Insert the I/O jacks in their respective holes and fasten them in place with the washers & nuts.
  • With its nut finger-tight, solder the six legs of the new gain pot to the PCB, then tighten the mounting nut.

By soldering the pot in place last, you insure that you won't be putting any added stress on the PCB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:28 pm 

I have all three; a sucker, a wick and patience. Just need luck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:55 pm 

trevenarj wrote:
I have all three; a sucker, a wick and patience. Just need luck.

Given the first three, you should need very little of the last! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:00 pm 

I was patient and successfully removed the pot, but the 82n capacitor took some heat from my iron. Do you think it's toast?
My meter doesn't measure capacitance. Thanks!

Last edited by trevenarj on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm 

Nah, I'm sure it's fine. You just melted a bit of the plastic coating. They're very hardy little beasts!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:06 pm 

Whew! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am 

Have everything together but haven’t soldered the pot legs yet. I’m a bit neurotic I guess, but how far do the legs need to protrude through the board? Right now they are visible through the eyelets and palpable. Thanks for everything!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:07 pm 

As you can see from my previous posts, I recently replaced the gain pot on my Silver Pony which solved issues I was having from the beginning after I finished my build. It has been working well but now there is an problem with the volume. If I wiggle the pot by the knob, the volume pot seems to cut out and the pedal is very loud. Continued manipulation will eventually return the pedal to normal where the volume is completely cut out by turning the shaft counterclockwise. Should I resolder the legs (see previous photos in this thread) or is this pot also likely defective? Could it be shorting out against the PCB because of downward pressure? Can I resolder with the pot in place or do I need to remove it and start from the beginning? Thanks in advance. I really like this pedal; I’d love it if it would behave...maybe it’s because it was my first attempt at doing this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 pm 

Bumping my last post.