Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Green Pony Pot Question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:25 pm 

Hi everybody. I just got my Green Pony kit and instead of B25k tone pot I got a W20k. Doest this matter? Should I request the correct pot?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:38 pm 

I don't think it will matter much. The W20k is the traditional tone put for a Tube Screamer, but since it's an odd value, many TS builders sub a B25k. You'll be hard pressed to notice any difference between 20k and 25k on a tone pot, and the letter difference just indicates the rate at which the knob takes effect in its rotation.

That said, I bet they'd send you the B25k if you ask. You can email sales@buildyourownclone.com and inquire. Keith (byoc) or other mods may chime in here too.

My band, Austin Hollow: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:42 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
I don't think it will matter much. The W20k is the traditional tone put for a Tube Screamer, but since it's an odd value, many TS builders sub a B25k. You'll be hard pressed to notice any difference between 20k and 25k on a tone pot, and the letter difference just indicates the rate at which the knob takes effect in its rotation.

That said, I bet they'd send you the B25k if you ask. You can email sales@buildyourownclone.com and inquire. Keith (byoc) or other mods may chime in here too.

Yeah. That's why I thought I'd ask. I figured it would be OK. I did email sales@ with my question, too. If there isn't much difference, I'm fine with the W20K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:19 pm 

FYI - the official response is the W20k is replacing the B25k. They are going to update the parts list to reflect. Hayley is the best. She is always helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:48 pm 

That change is really for the better. As I understand it, the reason that the Tube Screamer used the W20K pot is that the tone circuit is very sensitive to the large resistance ratio changes (it's functioning as a voltage divider here, not as a variable resistor) at either extreme of the pot but is quite insensitive near the middle of the sweep where the ratio changes slowly. Consequently, if you use a standard linear taper pot, you get a big "dead band" in the middle of the pot sweep, where the pot adjustment does very little to the tone. The "W" taper is a hybrid--it's a log taper (slow resistance change at first, and then rapid change) in the first half of the pot sweep, and then reverse log taper (rapid resistance change at first, and then slow change) in the second half. The advantage of this compound taper is that it moves quickly through the insensitive middle portion of the circuit's response to the pot sweep and slowly through the sensitive ranges at either end of the sweep, giving a more useful control. It basically has a "lazy S" shaped response curve, like the blue line in the image below.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:25 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
That change is really for the better. As I understand it, the reason that the Tube Screamer used the W20K pot is that the tone circuit is very sensitive to the large resistance ratio changes (it's functioning as a voltage divider here, not as a variable resistor) at either extreme of the pot but is quite insensitive near the middle of the sweep where the ratio changes slowly. Consequently, if you use a standard linear taper pot, you get a big "dead band" in the middle of the pot sweep, where the pot adjustment does very little to the tone. The "W" taper is a hybrid--it's a log taper (slow resistance change at first, and then rapid change) in the first half of the pot sweep, and then reverse log taper (rapid resistance change at first, and then slow change) in the second half. The advantage of this compound taper is that it moves quickly through the insensitive middle portion of the circuit's response to the pot sweep and slowly through the sensitive ranges at either end of the sweep, giving a more useful control. It basically has a "lazy S" shaped response curve, like the blue line in the image below.

Ah. This description sounds inline with their improvements of the gain pot versus the Klon. I love the Silver Pony so I'm looking forward to this one. My only hesitation is that I love those germanium diodes. But time will tell. This may replace the Silver Pony on my board. Maybe...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:18 pm 

jajoyner wrote:
This description sounds inline with their improvements of the gain pot versus the Klon. I love the Silver Pony so I'm looking forward to this one.

The big difference in the way the dual-gang gain pot works in the GP vs. the SP is that the latter shunts a significant portion of the audio signal to ground in both the clean and overdrive portions of the circuit when the the gain pot is in the middle portion of its sweep. The GP gain pot doesn't send any of the signal to ground in either part of the circuit and this results in noticeably better tone through that middle part of the gain pot sweep. From the GP product page:

"Another place where the OD-820 circuit differs is in the way its dual-ganged drive knob works. As you turn up the gain on the Centaur, it shunts clean signal to ground. And as you turn down the gain on the Centaur, it shunts the overdrive signal to ground. The Centaur sounds amazing with the gain knob mostly clockwise or mostly counter clockwise, but this method of gain control causes some tone loss when the drive knob is set more towards the middle, the same way adding a master volume control to a tube amp does. It's not much, but it is noticeable, especially when you A/B it with an OD-820. The OD-820's drive knob doesn't shunt any signal to ground, so it keeps your tone and pick sensitivity fully intact throughout the entire rotation of the drive knob."

jajoyner wrote:
My only hesitation is that I love those germanium diodes.

It's easy enough to add a DPDT toggle switch to one side or the other of the GP's clipping stage and install germanium diodes on one side of that switch and the stock diodes on the other. Then you'd have three clipping flavors plus the "None" diode-lift setting.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:20 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
It's easy enough to add a DPDT toggle switch to one side or the other of the GP's clipping stage and install germanium diodes on one side of that switch and the stock diodes on the other. Then you'd have three clipping flavors plus the "None" diode-lift setting.

Yesss. I may do this in the future. I may hit you up with advice on how to implement this.