Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:07 am 

Just curious to see what everyone has done to their own overdrive pedal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:46 am 

For the gain knob in the Tube Screamer, use 1M instead of 500k, and don't use the 50kOhm resistor. Stock the gain range goes from 50k - 500k, with just the 1M pot you get 0 - 1M, all the stock range and a bit more.

I like the symmetrical clipping here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:47 am 

I went with a 3-way clipping toggle (asymm. silicon, yellow LED's & MOSFET's) and a combination gain/bass boost rotary switch. Also, I generally run a TI TCP2272ACP opamp in it, since I like its higher fidelity vs. the JRC4558D stock IC. Details HERE. BTW, since I put that web page together, I substituted a pair of IRF520 MOSFET's for the 3x3 germanium diode array I had in the 3rd clipping position. The MOSFET's have a very similar warm, bluesy tone to the germaniums, but without the annoying volume drop.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:20 pm 

i did all the standard mods in the instructions, but socketed the IC slot and have a Burr Brown in there now.
I did more and less gain mods, the Baked mod with the 1.5k resistor, and put in a DPDT switch for stock and beefy bass boost with a 2 colour status LED (goes green for stock, then red for boost).
My clipping section is an 8-way single pole rotary switch that is based on this diagram (http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p259 ... PPING2.jpg).
This shows 7, but i left the 8th empty for the diode lift boost.
Gonna put some pics up soon!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:18 pm 

Oooh, lots! My OD is by far my favourite pedal at the moment, it's sensitive and responsive and I just can't get it to sound bad. Mostly I use it as a dirty boost and it seems to be permanently on these days!

Keeley-style gain stage mod (20k/2.4k), 0.22uF input cap, 1uF film caps, 2k tone control, 0.15uF tantalums, 2272 chip and for the clipping stage I've got one 3mm yellow LED against 3 germaniums. I'm also using a waterclear blue status LED with a 2.2k resistor. It's blinding 8)

I didn't want any extra switches or maguffins on this pedal. For some reason I wanted one BYOC pedal that just did its job with a simple selection of standard knobs, and this was the pedal that got chosen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:46 am 

FF_Pedals wrote:
For the gain knob in the Tube Screamer, use 1M instead of 500k, and don't use the 50kOhm resistor. Stock the gain range goes from 50k - 500k, with just the 1M pot you get 0 - 1M, all the stock range and a bit more.

I like the symmetrical clipping here.

I used a 20k for this instead of 50k.....now I want to try your suggestion of not using it at all.....I would need to jumper the slot on the board I assume?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:26 am 

Yeah, a jumper or a small resistor will be fine. When you turn it all the way down you'll get less gain than stock but it's only for a very small portion of the pot's sweep. I read your other post about changing components, I think using some socket's (you can order them from small bear, mouser, or ebay) you should experiment and see what YOU like best. This will help you find the best value for lowering the 4.7k resistor to increase gain as you mentioned. You could even make it a 5k pot and have 2 gain controls (okay, maybe a bit ridiculous), but the possibilities are endless.