Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OD2 MOSFET
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 pm 

Hi guys,

This is the first BYOC pedal I've picked up and I'm keen to get started!!!

I'm going to build the pedal with MOSFET and LED clipping, and I'm aware that I leave the LED spot empty, but instead remove the stock clipping diodes and fit the LED's in that position instead.

I would however like to build the rest of the circuit to 'stock' specs, in terms of the input/output buffers etc. Basically my question is do I just follow the instructions as per the 'stock build' specs and ignore the MOSFET build parts, but just re-arrange the clipping section differently?? Or is there more to it than that??

I'm a bit confused as throughout the instructions it refers to MOSFET and standard build, but at the bottom it describes the 5 sections that you can leave stock or MOSFET to further tweak the pedal.

Also, I noticed that it said a popular mod was to increase the input impedance by raising the 511k resistor to 1M. What does this do exactly in terms of tonal changes??

Post subject: Re: OD2 MOSFET
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:57 pm 

Just build it per the "stock" specs and make the substitutions you described in the clipping section. You're right on the money there. BTW, you probably realize this already, but you don't have to use the LED's and can use the stock 1N914's, so I'm assuming you just prefer to use the LED's as the 2nd clipping choice.

The higher impedance resistors in the buffers will preserve a little more high end for you; pretty subtle difference.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:05 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've already got some tubescreamer type pedals, so I was going to do the LED + MOSFET combination to give me different clipping options. I'm going to socket the parts in the clipping section so everything is 'hot-swappable' anyway, so I'll definitely check out the stock clipping option too.

Out of curiosity, has anyone played the HBE Power Screamer?? The sound I'm trying to go for is one of the clipping options on that pedal, which is compressed 'saggy' type overdrive which is really amp like. I'm thinking that MOSFET clipping is a good place to start as it's supposed to be pretty amp like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:02 am 

I would say mosfet boost too.