Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 pm 

Hello all. I am new to the forum. Please be patient with me. I have finished building the Overdrive 2 pedal. The pedal sounds great except for the fact that the tone pot must be be turned all the way down or the pedal gets very "tinny" sounding. I can't use my Strat on it because of the single coils. My Les Paul works well as long as the tone is down. I installed the MOSFET kit with the 10K tone pot. I have tried using the three different OP amps that came with the kit and found differences in the gain structures but no real tone changes. Short of changing out the tome pot, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Lyle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:57 pm 

A few folks have posted about this problem, you can scan the forum for more details, but the upshot is that your Louder trim pot is set too high. It should be set to the lowest possible point where you still get signal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:41 pm 

Thanks. I'll look around

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:30 am 

mmarsh wrote:
A few folks have posted about this problem, you can scan the forum for more details, but the upshot is that your Louder trim pot is set too high. It should be set to the lowest possible point where you still get signal.
'Xactly. I have my own OD2 built to MOSFET specs, too, and it sounds great with my Strats. If you have a multimeter handy, measure the resistance across the two metal posts at the top of the pot as mounted on the PCB. Adjust the trimpot to get this down as close to 1Kohm as possible. Because it's a 50K pot, it's tough to make a fine adjustment, but you should be able to get it fairly close with a bit of fiddling. Anything between 1 - 2 Kohms seems to work well, in my experience.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:34 am 

I just replaced the "louder" trimmer with a 2k trimpot and that solved the tone problem for me. It's much less touchy than the 50k!