Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:17 pm 

In the clipping section of the 250 on the instruction video, he uses one wire for jumping. I was wondering what would happen if i used one of the following instead of just a wire jumper? Would give me more gain in the distortion pedal so that it would be even more metal sounding. Or would it cause a nuclear meltdown? Is 800Volts hundreds of times to much power since it only runs on 9volts.

BYV26D 800volt controlled avalanche rectifier

Let me kno what you think, if this one doesnt do the trick, i also have some other rectifying diodes that could potentially make a diff i assume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:13 pm 

I've been avoiding this question because i was hoping someone with more knowledge could answer you but hey I'll give it a shot and everybody can jump in and tell me if I'm wrong;). Adding more diodes will not necessarily provide more gain. The difference between two and three diodes in the clipping stage is symetric and asymetric clipping respectively. I'll let the audible differences be described by someone else (do a search, there's a bit of controversy about sym/asym clipping) Adding too many diodes will just load your signal. I'm sure people with a lot more time and patience have researched good and proper clipping diodes and yet we always see the same ones : LEDs, 1N901?,1N914?, the germanium ones 1N934? (sorry I'm going by my horrible memory) and lately Mosfets seem to be quite stylish. Somehow i don't think bridge rectifier diodes would work that well.
Please somebody expose my ignorance;)