Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:16 pm 

Hello all!

I just finished my second BYOC pedal, a Swede, and I'm having an issue. There is a loud squeal/feedback when the pedal is plugged in. I still hear the guitar and there is distortion, but the feedback comes back the second I stop playing anything. When the distortion pot is all the way off, the feedback goes away and the guitar tone is very clear with a little distortion. The high control changes the pitch of the feedback, and will get rid of it when the pot is turned all the way off. There is also a very loud hiss when my guitar volume is off.

I tried re-flowing my solder joints and taking out IC3 since it's attached to the high pot. I found that there is still feedback, and the high control doesn't affect the feedback at all.

My V+ on each OP amp is a steady ~9.4 V and my 1/2V is a steady ~4.5V.

I'm thinking there is a bad capacitor somewhere, but I'm not sure what to look for (and I forget to check capacitance before I assembly like I did with my resistors).

My multi meter keeps reading a higher value of capacitance for all my board mounted capacitors (non mounted capacitors are reading correctly), so I may have to desolder every capacitor to find the bad one.

Any advice?

Here are a few pictures of my build, I removed the OP amps and tipped up the pots while I was poking around. Also the output jack is out of frame, but is connected.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:39 pm 

Have you tried swapping around the positions of the 3 IC's to see if the pedal's behavior changes?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:51 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Have you tried swapping around the positions of the 3 IC's to see if the pedal's behavior changes?

It's the same no matter where I plug the IC's into.

Most of my IC rail voltages are not equal where they should be, so this is probably the source of the oscillation. IC1 has the worst voltage difference (over 0.1VDC between rails 1 & 2/3). I replaced the feedback capacitor and resistor, but I still have the same problem.

Measured voltages are below. Any other advice?

IC1
1: 4.223 VDC
2: 4.111 VDC
3: 4.109 VDC
4: 0 VDC
5: 4.592 VDC
6: 4.593 VDC
7: 4.592 VDC
8: 9.20 VDC

IC2
1: 4.591 VDC
2: 4.591 VDC
3: 4.546 VDC
5: 4.555 VDC
6: 4.585 VDC
7: 4.584 VDC
8: 9.18 VDC

IC3
1: 4.586 VDC
2: 4.585 VDC
3: 4.541 VDC
5: 4.544 VDC
6: 4.580 VDC
7: 4.579 VDC
8: 9.17 VDC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:03 pm 

Did this ever get sorted out? I'm having literally the exact same problem right now :///

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:49 pm 

Not yet, still having the same issue after replacing some capacitors, transistors, and resistors. I did notice that I get an OL reading when I test the resistance of R28 (100k resistor) in circuit, but the resistance is fine when I remove it. I soldered in a new resistor and had the same issue. I'm going to try a new switch next :|

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Please contact sales and we'll send you a new chip set.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:43 pm 

byoc wrote:
Please contact sales and we'll send you a new chip set.

Just did, thanks!

Also, I found something else I think is off. I built the signal tester on BYOC's website and found that I'm getting a distorted guitar signal when I just connect the pedal ground to the amp (the red probe was not touching anything). Is that supposed to happen? :?

Some more findings:

I'm getting a feedback sound everywhere in my circuit with the high all the way on. This goes away when I turn the high control completely off until I touch the probe to Q1's gate. I get a quiet hum from my 4.5V source, and I think my Q1 is amplifying it. I don't hear the hum when I probe my 9V source with the high control off. Any idea what could cause this?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:12 am 

With your guitar plugged into the pedal’s input and the probe plugged into your amp with only the probe’s ground connected to the amp and pedal but with the probe’s tip not connected to anything you will get noise from your amp. Not a distorted guitar signal. The guitar is not connected to the tip of the probe so there can be no distorted guitar signal coming from the amp. As soon as you touch the probe to ground the amp will go silent. If you touch the probe to a point on the PCB that has signal you will hear your guitar thru the amp with a bit of background noise too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:40 pm 

Stephen wrote:
With your guitar plugged into the pedal’s input and the probe plugged into your amp with only the probe’s ground connected to the amp and pedal but with the probe’s tip not connected to anything you will get noise from your amp. Not a distorted guitar signal. The guitar is not connected to the tip of the probe so there can be no distorted guitar signal coming from the amp. As soon as you touch the probe to ground the amp will go silent. If you touch the probe to a point on the PCB that has signal you will hear your guitar thru the amp with a bit of background noise too.

I thought that wasn't right.

Something else I found, I'm getting a reading of -0.1 VDC on the negative terminal of my C10 (the electrolytic capacitor attached to pin 1 of the first IC) using the chassis ground as the reference. The voltage decreases to -0.072 VDC on the negative terminal of C12. Any idea why this would happen? I thought C10 and C12 block DC voltage into this section of the circuit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:02 pm 

Caps are not perfect devices and none of them block DC 100%. Nothing you can do about that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:01 am 

So @JTH20 did getting new IC's actually fix the problem? My schedule hasn't given me a chance to really try to fix the issue but I'm still getting the exact same problem you're describing :/ would you suggest I go ahead and contact sales like you did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:21 am 

geohewitt wrote:
So @JTH20 did getting new IC's actually fix the problem? My schedule hasn't given me a chance to really try to fix the issue but I'm still getting the exact same problem you're describing :/ would you suggest I go ahead and contact sales like you did?

@geohewitt, unfortunately the new IC's didn't fix it. Life caused this project to fall by the wayside so I haven't tred anything else yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:26 pm 

JTH20 wrote:
geohewitt wrote:

@geohewitt, unfortunately the new IC's didn't fix it. Life caused this project to fall by the wayside so I haven't tred anything else yet.

Damn dude :( I feel you, having already built an HM2 clone before i'm pretty disappointed with this one and have no clue what the issue is. I I tried the audio probe and for me the oscillation seams to get louder the further I go through the circuit but I still have it even if I touch it directly to the input jack. Goes away when I turn the distortion or high pot all the way down. Does yours have those same symptoms??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:46 pm 

geohewitt wrote:
JTH20 wrote:
geohewitt wrote:

Damn dude :( I feel you, having already built an HM2 clone before i'm pretty disappointed with this one and have no clue what the issue is. I I tried the audio probe and for me the oscillation seams to get louder the further I go through the circuit but I still have it even if I touch it directly to the input jack. Goes away when I turn the distortion or high pot all the way down. Does yours have those same symptoms??

Yep, exact same symptoms. It seems like some sort of unintentional feedback loop, but through my limited testing I didn't find any components that shouldn't be connected.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:14 am 
Site Admin

You both should contact keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:45 am 
Site Admin

You guys wouldn't happen to be using a 1-Spot power supply or a power supply that wasn't specifically meant to be used with guitar effects?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 pm 

I just finished The Swede as my first ever DIY soldering project and am experiencing the same problem. I am trying to get the early-90's Swedish death metal sound, so I have everything pretty much dimed. I'm getting pretty good tone, but I also get the same oscillation as described here. When I roll the high off a bit, it clears up (although I lose the tone I'm looking for...which seems to kick in right before I max-out the high pot), and when I roll the distortion down to about 8:30-9:00 the oscillation disappears. TBH, I don't get a big change in tone between when I have the distortion at 9:00 and all the way maxed out, but that's with everything else dimed. I'm using a fresh 9V battery as the supply.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:27 pm 

Oscillations not due to build errors are most likely due to stray capacitance in the PCB layout, or power supply decoupling issues, or maybe both. It can happen with really high gain circuits turned way up. Should be fixable though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 pm 

Hmmm...power supply decoupling you say...how would one go about fixing that?

I did notice that the DC current draw from the battery is roughly 13mA. Surprisingly, I found that the current draw was about 11.5mA with the footswitch off but the guitar cable plugged into the output jack. Could this indicate a problem somewhere in the build? I thought the Swede was true bypass instead of buffered.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:13 pm 

True bypass routes the input directly to the output. It does not turn the effect off, and therefore the circuit is still drawing power when bypassed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Is there anyone still having feedback issues with their Swede?