Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:48 pm 

Hey everybody. I'm having some trouble with my Chancellor build. This is my second build and the first time I've had issues. In bypass, the signal comes through strongly but it's very noisy. The frequency range of the noise is wide, it isn't just high end.

When the circuit is engaged, the noise is still present but the signal is weaker than when in bypass. The gain and volume knobs do lower the level of the noise.

The bass, mid and treble pots do affect the noise. When I boost the bass for example I can hear the low end in the noise increase. The same goes for the treble and mid pots.

When I first tested it and found these problems I looked at the tracing and schematic to figure out the bypass path. I realized I had done a poor job wiring lugs 4 and 9 on the foot switch so I removed that wire and redid it. It fixed the bypass noise but not the problems when the circuit was engaged. I decided to rewire the rest of the foot switch. I removed all of the wires except the wire on lugs 4 and 9 since it worked well when I tested it. I rewired the rest of the foot switch and the noise in bypass came back. At that point I knew I needed fresh, more experienced eyes on this.

What typically causes noise like this? Bad soldering? Also I did burn one of the corners of the foot switch when initially wiring it. Could that be causing problems?

I had trouble getting decent pics because the lighting in my place isn't that great. Hopefully y'all can use them to get a sense of what I should try next. If not, I will do my best to get some better ones of whatever will help y'all.

Also, I did cut the pedal out of the enclosure to get additional pics so that's why the DC jack isn't present on some of the pics. And I've had trouble getting the pots level on the pcb. That explains the electrical tape between the pots to keep them from touching. Any tips for doing this?

Any help y'all can give is much appreciated! I'm looking forward to fixing this and preventing this kind of thing in the future. Thanks!

Pics:

http://email.photobucket.com/wf/click?u ... DELA-3D-3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:05 pm 

I don't see anything misplaced, so that's to the good. I would suggest doing THIS first, and then see where you're at. Solder quality issues are, BY FAR, the most common cause of the type of problem you are describing.

Re: getting the pots level in the enclosure, did you cut/break off the mounting tab on each pot per page 7 of the instructions?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:38 pm 

Thanks! I'm going to remove the pots and reflow everything after taking a break. I'll report back. I really appreciate the quick response.

Re: the tabs on the pots, I did clip them off

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:08 am 

Finally got back to this. I reflowed everything and cleaned up more solder spray. It's working exactly as it should now! I really appreciate you taking a look and linking that post! Looking forward to what to build next.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:38 am 

Great! Glad to hear that did the trick, as it so often does.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2