Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 pm 

I bought a bunch of stuff and I'm sure I was sober, but I ended up with a MOSFET Conversion Kit. I think maybe I thought it could be used for my MOSFET Boost. Nope!
I see it referenced under the Overdrive 2 description, but I don't have one of those. Is there another project that these components would be useful for? Build an OD on a bread board probably?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:24 pm 

The function of that kit is to convert five different elements of the OD2 from their stock configuration to MOSFET-based alternatives. You can read the specifics in the second half of THIS POST from my OD2 FAQ thread. Four of these work in the overdrive stage of the OD2, so would be potentially applicable to any Tube Screamer circuit clone. The fifth applies to the boost stage of the OD2 and converts it from the classic EHX Linear Power Booster circuit, which uses a standard bipolar junction transistor (BJT), to a MOSFET boost. The latter does not have as much drive as the LPB circuit, but has more top-end "sparkle", if that's how you like your boosts to sound. Refer to the OD2 schematic to see how these conversion parts integrate with the overdrive and boost circuits.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:24 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
The function of that kit is to convert five different elements of the OD2 from their stock configuration to MOSFET-based alternatives. You can read the specifics in the second half of THIS POST from my OD2 FAQ thread. Four of these work in the overdrive stage of the OD2, so would be potentially applicable to any Tube Screamer circuit clone. The fifth applies to the boost stage of the OD2 and converts it from the classic EHX Linear Power Booster circuit, which uses a standard bipolar junction transistor (BJT), to a MOSFET boost. The latter does not have as much drive as the LPB circuit, but has more top-end "sparkle", if that's how you like your boosts to sound. Refer to the OD2 schematic to see how these conversion parts integrate with the overdrive and boost circuits.
Neat! I have an 808 clone I'll mess with. I can't stand the midrange boost in it. I wanted a stock one to see what the fuss was about, but now it's going back to the bench!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:25 pm 

mrdavenixon wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:
Neat! I have an 808 clone I'll mess with. I can't stand the midrange boost in it. I wanted a stock one to see what the fuss was about, but now it's going back to the bench!

Or would the 808 be appropriate? I also have an OD-1 that might head back to the bench.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:28 pm 

mrdavenixon wrote:
mrdavenixon wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:

Or would the 808 be appropriate? I also have an OD-1 that might head back to the bench.

I clicked the link and answered my own question. A response would still be cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:27 pm 

I would recommend making the changes on the 808 clone, but the Boss OD-1 (if you have the 8-pin dual op amp version) is very nearly the same circuit, so you could try that one, too.

Candidly, I wouldn't try the MOSFET op amp swap unless the pedal has the existing op amp in a socket. The MOSFET clipping mod would require either replacing the existing clipping diodes with the MOSFET pair, or going to a switchable set-up on a piece of perf or vero board. Altering the input and output buffers would also be quite a bit of work, since it requires additional components that wouldn't have spaces on the existing PCB. So you really have to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle just to use up the $8 worth of parts in the MOSFET conversion kit....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2