Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:39 pm 

Hi, I have an issue with my crown jewel. I should mention that this pedal was working pretty well before I attempted the dry blend mod. That was very difficult for me. I have the very first version of the board.

After a few weeks of tinkering, resoldering, and scratching away any flux. Im left with this particular issue.

When the pedal is in bypass and power supplied, the signal of the guitar goes through with no problems.

When I press the drive side - even with all the knobs turned to the right, there is only a noisy oscillating sound. The Led turns on for the drive when I press on it. The level of the drive side of things does adjust the noise. The noise is quiet compared to the level of the guitar that comes out when the pedal is on bypass. but its a sputtering oscillating type of sound. When I switch the 18v the noise turns off. Looks like there is only noise when I switch to 9v. Either way, there is no guitar sound.

The boost side - the led comes on. The guitar comes through fine and effected with whatever module I have in. (mosfet boost at the moment.) the noise comes comes through when I switch from 18v (no noise) to 9v (noise). The noise goes softer or louder when I adjust the boost level.

When I have the boost on, and and then press the drive so they are on together, the guitar is only faintly heard. there is some of the "typical drive" noise, but not like that oscillating sound that is heard when only the drive side is on. When both are on, no noise change is heard when I switch from 9v to 18v.

So i guess the main issue is, the drive side doesn't work, there is an oscillating sound, no guitar sound. When the boost and the drive is on, the loud oscillating sound goes away, and the guitar is faintly heard. Thank you for reading my ramblings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 pm 

Do you have access to a multimeter and know how to take DC voltage readings with one? I'd like to know what voltage levels you read on the three power connections (+9, +18 and -9) on the dry blend mini-PCB.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:22 pm 

thank you for your reply as always. I do have a simple one. But I really don't know how to use it! It kind of doesn't make sense to me. I can give it a shot though. So I place one probe on one of those points, but where does the other one go?

thank you so much!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

You should verify that the basic overdrive still works after migrating some of the components to the underside of the PCB. Remove A, B, and C from the main PCB and put the C16 105 capacitor back and see if it still works normally. Then we'll know if we need to focus our attention on the add-on board or the main board.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 pm 

Yes, i should have tested after moving only one component at a time. I moved one more component because the blend board wouldn't fit, but I know both sides of the board work.