Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 am 

Hey, just did my first build, the Li'l Mouse.
It sounds stellar, and is pretty darn flexible.

2 things..I guess the filter knob is reversed on purpose? or did I maybe get the pot wired backwards? (not important, just curious)
The other thing is, the filter really only seems "usable" at like the last 5-10% of its travel..anywhere less than that and it's just way too muffled. I guess that's pretty subjective, but does that sound about right?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 pm 

Yep, that's right. It's faithful to the original ProCo design. I always just reverse the wiring on the Mouse and Li'l Mouse filter pots so that they operate like most tone controls.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 am 

Thanks!

So how about this one?

When I have the pedal run straight into my Mackie Blackjack, the filter works as described/expected.
However, when i go into the inputs on my Peavey Bravo (Tube) amp, the filter seems to do nothing.
I've tried it at every gain setting, and in both High and Low gain inputs, and there is no discernible difference in tone at ANY position on the filter. (Whereas DI'd, the tone shaping is pretty glaring, over the top even..)

I can't think how this is possible?!

Granted, i haven't tried many pedals on this amp, and it does have some issues (jumpy knobs, reverb knob somehow affects the tone, even with reverb off).

Any thoughts?

Kev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:53 pm 

Pengo wrote:
When I have the pedal run straight into my Mackie Blackjack, the filter works as described/expected.
However, when i go into the inputs on my Peavey Bravo (Tube) amp, the filter seems to do nothing.
I've tried it at every gain setting, and in both High and Low gain inputs, and there is no discernible difference in tone at ANY position on the filter. (Whereas DI'd, the tone shaping is pretty glaring, over the top even..)

No, I don't know what's going on with the weird Mouse/Bravo interaction. All I can tell you is that I've used both of my BYOC Mouse pedals (mini & full size) on several different tube amps and the Filter control has worked fine on all of them.

Maybe somebody else here will have an idea of what's happening....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:56 pm 

Maybe the amp is already pushed pretty hard? A distorted amp doesn't respond as well to eq...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 am 

Thanks folks!

I do have a coupla other amps that I'll try, just to see, as the Bravo is indeed in dire need of some tlc..
I had a stray thought that possibly the amp is not grounded right (!), and maybe the treble frequencies coudln't get shunted to ground, but in that case I presume the volume wouldn't work either, as that must be going to ground too? (my electro brain is a bit rusty..)

And I'm not pushing the amp hard in terms of volume (far from it :( ) but i did have the sense that the mouse pushes the pre-amp pretty hard, so that's a thought..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:09 am 

Quick update,
Apparently between the act of unplugging the pedal from my interface, and plugging it into my amp, a strand of unclipped wire musta shifted and bridged the filter pot to something else. Clipped the stray wire and all is well.

:)

Luckily i left enough play in the wiring to pop the board out without too much hassle, as I was assuming that something would go wrong as it's my first build..and was proven correct.
:oops: