Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:40 pm 

Hi

First of all, I really like The Crown Jewel! And so do people who come over and try it out. :-)

What I'd like to do is somehow put together a pedal where I can switch between modules, so customers can hear the difference between them in real time.

I thought about different ways to achieve this, and I'd like your opinion.

A. Somehow (using longer leads) connect the BM (boost module) outside the CJ (in a smaller upside down enclosure). But this seems very limited.

B. Use 2 daughter boards, one before and one after the CJ. That way I have 3 BM to choose from.

C. Use daughter boards witch a rotary switch. If I'm correct (which I'm probably not :D ), only the IN and OUT need to go to a 2P switch? The other connections can just go to every module socket? Which means I can use 6 BM in 1 pedal (or 12 if I use a mini toggle before the 2P6P rotary).

D. The All-in-one Solution (if feasible)
What if I use the same principle as in C, but with a send/return to the CJ. That way using a 3PDT toggle switch I could decide wether the BM is BEFORE or AFTER the CJ. I also need to think about bypassing the send return when there's no CJ used. It looks to me as the ultimate solution (albeit maybe overkill).
I could use it standalone, or together with the CJ, choose between 6 (or 12) modules and even choose if I want them before or after the CJ.
(I've drawn some rude schematics of this option, but still too rude to show them)

Remember, personally I don't need all these options on MY pedalboard :-)
But, I think it would be great for customers to be able to directly try all the available modules.

Any expert suggestions?
Thanks!
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:15 pm 

Some version of C or D would be a cool way to A/B (/C/D/E....) a bunch of the modules, but there's no doubt it would be a lot of work. Not that I've thought this out carefully, but I believe that something like this would work:

I would mount the various modules on "experimenter" boards in a second "box" (a good sized one!) and wire their input/output connections to a 2-pole rotary switching set-up much as you describe. The poles would then be wired back to the I/O boost module connections on the Crown Jewel PCB. I would use a common source for the various voltages and a common ground connection, namely a CJ "daughter board" mounted in this second box, which would be connected daisy-chain style to the voltage connections on each experimenter board. For sure, I'd use the more robust LT1054 charge pump IC on the daughter board for its higher current output. I'd put a separate DC adapter jack in this second box, and you'd need to make sure that it's properly grounded throughout.

But to reiterate....it would be a lot of work!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:25 pm 

Yes, but it would be a lot of fun having it to demo the modules :-)
Ok, I'll try something and make a drawing of the connections first. The breadboard I ordered will be put to the test.
Seems like a cool entry-level way to dive into some cautious "designing" :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:46 pm 

And if you go as far with it as I indicated above, it's easy enough to add a couple of I/O jacks and a footswitch to run it as a standalone pedal rather than through the CJ.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:31 pm 

I have also dreamed of an external module enclosure with selector switch/es. I’d love to be able to switch modules on the fly. I wonder if byoc is already working on this. I can only imagine it’s a common request.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk