Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 pm 

I just purchased and built the discontinued Silver Pony. Everything powered up and seemed to work fine at first but I quickly realized that the gain pot was behaving strangely. When turned all the way counter-clockwise I'd have a little more gain than I should. As I turned the gain knob up (clockwise) the gain would at first drop and then once the knob passed 10 o'clock it would come back up and behave pretty normally. It seems like when the knob is all the way to the left my gain is somewhere around a 3 on a 1-10 scale, then as I turn the knob up it goes down and then back up again and behaves relatively normally once it passes 10 o'clock.

The other, arguably bigger issue that I'm having is that the treble knob doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. I struggle to hear any difference when this pot is cranked all the way to the right or all the way to the left. It almost sounds like it's totally out of line. If i listen really closely I can just barely hear a little more high frequency hiss when I crank the treble but this doesnt seem to affect the actual tone of a guitar or bass plugged in to the pedal at all.

I did my best to trace the schematic and double check that every resistor was in the right place. I'm pretty sure things are where they need to be but maybe an eagle-eyed board member will notice something I missed. Hope you guys can help!

-M

Attachments:
IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG [ 934.8 KiB | Viewed 1977 times ]

Last edited by MikFizzle on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:26 am 

It appears to me that you've swapped the 3n9 and 390p capacitors at C5 and C13. See labeled PCB diagram below. Based upon their locations in the circuit, I think this is the cause of your problems. Fix this mix-up and see where you're at.

I'd also straighten out the alignment of the charge pump (IC3) in its socket, while you're at it. Otherwise, the quality of the build looks excellent, particularly your wiring.

Attachment:
SP_labeled_PCB_markup.jpg
SP_labeled_PCB_markup.jpg [ 112.15 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm 

Thank you duhvoodooman!

You were absolutely spot on with the capacitor mix-up. I put them in their correct spots and the pedal works beautifully. Your eagle eyes save the day again

Also, thank you for your kind words about my build quality. I take pride in what I do =)