Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:47 pm 

Anyone else having the issue of a way too noisy sounding Crown Jewel? In the BYOC demo videos, it seems way quieter than mine. If I leave the presence and treble way down, it's not so bad, but that also takes away the magic of the pedal. I know these types of pedals generate some noise, but all my other overdrive/distortion pedals sound way quieter in the background when not playing. I had the bad 1054 charge pump noise with the weird oscillating whistling sounds, but the more expensive 1054 off of mouser fixed that problem. I'm not exactly getting the heavy metal super distortions out of mine too, but I have only played my strats through it so far. So, yes, I'm well aware of single coil strat noise, and normal dist. pedal noise, but this seems beyond that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:27 am 

It could be a build error, either a misplaced component or a maybe bad solder joint somewhere. Can you post some photos of your build? Clear, well-lit photos, both sides of the board as well as any offboard wiring. The eagle-eyed mods will want to be able to identify your resistor placement, so the color bands should be readable in your photos.

Another possibility is a bad power supply. I had a very puzzling background noise recently that only appeared when powering a certain combination of pedals, and it turns out it was a bad 1Spot. When I replaced it, everything was clean as a whistle. How are you powering your pedal(s)?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:39 pm 

Let me see if I can find the picts from my last post. The only problem there, is that I use mostly vintage parts (Mullard caps and AB resistors). I'm pretty dam anal with my board populating though, so I'd be real surprised if I had a misplaced part or wrong value.

Plus, I just tried using one of my humbucker guitars with it, and the difference in noise was amazing. Suddenly, it sounded pretty right on and the presence and treble knobs (which added noise before) functioned fine and sounded great/noise free.

It's still weird that my same strats sounded way less noisy through other pedals but problematic through the Jewel. The presence and treble knobs are almost unusable on the crown jewel with my strats. I shielded and rewired one the strats to be noise free too.

I really need it to work right with my strats. Oh, and it's not my power supply. I have the full gigrig setup from the generator on down to the isolated bricks. I was contemplating buying the noise canceling filter they now offer too.

Anyways, I'll try to find my picts to repost, but It really seems like it is something to do with my strats /single coils. The 40khz hum or whatever it's called

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:48 pm 

I have some more picts, but I think these show everything the rest show. These picts were from before when I had the bad 1054 IC in and I also obtained some more D9D diodes that are now installed.

Attachments:
IMG_1483_comp.jpg
IMG_1483_comp.jpg [ 278.23 KiB | Viewed 4816 times ]
IMG_1478_comp.jpg
IMG_1478_comp.jpg [ 244.92 KiB | Viewed 4816 times ]
IMG_1470_comp.jpg
IMG_1470_comp.jpg [ 289.51 KiB | Viewed 4816 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:10 pm 

Do you get the same kind of noise if you leave the OD side off and play through just the boost stage?

Try swapping the TL072 and 4558 and see if that makes any difference in the noise.

Could we see the solder side of the PCB?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

You've got a number of things that could be (and are most likely) contributing to your noise problem. 1. It's not in an enclosure. 2. Your wiring is excessively long. 3. You are using carbon comp resistors. 4. C15 looks like it is broken, and that is part of a low pass filter that gets rid of unwanted high frequencies and noise.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:52 pm 

No, my boost side actually cleans up the noise if the distortion side is off. Yes, I was thinking about switching some parts out such as the chips you mentioned. I'll try that and reply.

As for the other ideas, yes you're right on about all of them, but I don't believe they're the main culprit here. I've been building pedals for a long time now with Carbon Comp resistors, so I'm aware they're a little noisier, but this is a bit beyond that. The capacitor you mentioned that looks broken is alright. It just has some of the plastic casing or whatever chipped off of that side where the leg is. It measures fine and is actually just as sturdy as the rest. Also, I do have some of the wiring extra long at the moment because I'm working on a multi-effect. Once I house it, those wires will be cut way shorter. The wires being that long on my other builds have never created this much noise. I'll try alleviating these problems too after I try switching out some chips and what not.

I'll have to get on my other computer to post the solder side picts, if my kid ever gives it up. I've thorough checked that over too. In some 15-20 years of pedal building, I've had maybe one bad solder joint, and it was a home made board where the track got ripped up off the fiberglass (or whatever the material is). Still, I guess I could try reflowing some joints. Never say never.

Appreciate all of the help!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:02 pm 

Alrighty, so the change of the the two op-amp chips made no difference. It's the same buzz you get when the amp is on, and the cable is plugged into the amp, but you've disconnected the other side from your guitar. It really seems like thats what it is, cause I have the same noise when I do that as well as when I'm plugged into the crown jewel. When I do the same thing and plug into a different pedal with my strat, it kills the noise once the cable is plugged back into my guitar. When I plug in my active electronics humbucker guitar to the crown jewel, the buzz goes away. Also, turning on the boost section kills it essential too. Maybe something about the ground connection into the pedal, which is alleviated by an active electronics guitar. And, once the booster section is on, it fixes the same issue? IDK. I will figure it out or build another one, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:54 pm 

The damnedest thing. I was playing different guitars and suddenly it healed it's self. At first, even one of my other non-active electronics humbucker guitars was pretty noisy. The active electronics humbucker guitar still cleared it up. But, sometime after that I noticed the noise died way down even on my strat. There has to be something in my house messing with it a times. I've thought that before even building the jewel but just chalked it up to lots of pedals and single coils. The spring reverb tanks in both my Music Man amps come and go. It's mainly just not working, but I swear the reverb kicked on around the same time the noise went away. I even replaced one of the tanks in my amp, and it still has the weird problem of only working 20% of the time. I can't figure that one out either. The reverb ended up going bye bye again, as always, but the jewel stayed clean sounding. I'm sure I probably plug in tomorrow and it will be back to noise city.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am 
Site Admin

I've never experienced things working or not working based on various interferences, but noises certainly fluctuate day to day based on what's plugged in and what's not plugged in at the time. Our shop is right next to a golf course, so they have big lawn mowers going all the time. Sometimes, as they pass by, and the doppler effect creates the just the right frequency, my computer screens will pick it up and amplify it, and then that gets picked up my by guitar amps. Very weird. And annoying.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm 

Yea, I knew a guy who's amp picked up the local radio station at his house every time he wanted to play. It's still better tonight, but there is a low hum that only my active electronics guitar knocks out. I'm definitely trying to stick a stratoblaster in my strat to see if it kicks out the hum like the active electronics guitar. I have a pedal stratoblaster I can try putting ahead of the jewel, but I'm not sure that will have the same affect as an active pup system.

It is strange too how I still had the hum after changing the Op amps out for new ones. But, maybe later that same night, the bad hum slowly went away while I was playing and switching out different guitars.