Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:24 am 

Hi
I don't know if this is of any interest, but I put together a little excel file with the settings.
I give a version of this when I sell a Crown Jewel (2 so far :wink: )

I didn't come up with these settings, I think someone else on this forum looked at Keith's video and jotted down all the settings.
So all credit goes the him (and Keith).

But it could come in handy if you want to add your own.
And if you do, please share.

mm... the extension xls and pdf are not allowed...
i made a jpg out of the pdf, but it would be nice to add the excel since it has auto formatting...

some notes:
- potvalues seem strange, but are logical for me :D They refer to 24h time starting at 7 (full CCW) tot 17 (full CW)
- this allows color autoformatting: more CCW, more blue (cold) and more CW, more green (hot)
-N = none
- No = normal, Na = narrow, W = wide

So, let me know, how I can add the excel if it is of interest

Attachments:
CrownJewelSettings.jpg
CrownJewelSettings.jpg [ 328.63 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Nice! Although this is missing the boost settings. The DS-1 has the pre-boost on. And if I could go back and do it again, I'd redo the HM-2 to use the pre-boost as well. If you look at those two circuits' schematics, they are both op amp based distortions but with a transistor boost hardwired to the front of them, so using the crown jewel's boost in first position will help you mimic that sound better. The crown jewel has enough gain on tap to get the HM-2 sound without the boost, but technically, it would have been more accurate with it on if you're more worried about replicating the circuit than the tone. I also used the boost for the RAT. The RAT does not have a transistor boost in front of it, so technically, this isn't replicating the circuit. But the crown jewel doesn't have enough gain without the pre-boost to mimic the RAT.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 pm 

Thanks Keith, but I just did the layout :-)
I can easily add a boost column.
Maybe I should upload the excel, but I can't in this forum. So it kind of misses its purpose...

A good friend of mine (professional guitarplayer and soundwizard) said indeed that the CJ didn't have enough gain. He thought that was a pity given that it's so versatile...
Using the 27V as a pre-boost should probably give you the highest amount of gain, right?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

Tom wrote:
Thanks Keith, but I just did the layout :-)
I can easily add a boost column.
Maybe I should upload the excel, but I can't in this forum. So it kind of misses its purpose...

A good friend of mine (professional guitarplayer and soundwizard) said indeed that the CJ didn't have enough gain. He thought that was a pity given that it's so versatile...
Using the 27V as a pre-boost should probably give you the highest amount of gain, right?

I prefer the LPB for a pre-gain boost.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:30 pm 

You could set this up as a Google spreadsheet and post the link here. Definitely a useful way to have all of the settings in a handy format.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:16 pm 

Keith, that leaves me thinking...

Without abandoning the boost-function of the pedal, I'd like to incorporate an EXTRA LPB module as a permanent pre-boost, since you think it will give me the best chances of having those higher gain RAT, HM2, ... sounds. That way, the higher gain could be added by a flick of a (foot)switch.

A few thoughts/questions, before i start thinking about the schematics:

1/ Is it a good idea to add the volume for the pre-gain as well? Or is this just unnecessary.
2/ It seems really possible to incorporate this without abandoning the other modular pre/post boost section. Is this correct or am i missing something?

I will upload the ink to this googlesheet later (too busy right now :-) )

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Tom wrote:
Keith, that leaves me thinking...

Without abandoning the boost-function of the pedal, I'd like to incorporate an EXTRA LPB module as a permanent pre-boost, since you think it will give me the best chances of having those higher gain RAT, HM2, ... sounds. That way, the higher gain could be added by a flick of a (foot)switch.

A few thoughts/questions, before i start thinking about the schematics:

1/ Is it a good idea to add the volume for the pre-gain as well? Or is this just unnecessary.
2/ It seems really possible to incorporate this without abandoning the other modular pre/post boost section. Is this correct or am i missing something?

I will upload the ink to this googlesheet later (too busy right now :-) )

I guess you could do that, but the pre/post function would become redundant, IMHO, since it would really only be useful in the post position. Anyhow, you'd stick the preboost in after C11 and before the un-numbered R resistor. The pedals that have a preboost usually do not have a volume/pregain control. If you're going to add a bit of vero board or something, it may be a good idea to include a pregain volume trimpot.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:42 pm 

Thanks Keith.
I suppose the pre-post modular boost will only be redundant when I engage the fixed preboost, right?
I mean to add the preboost with a switch (and a trimpot). So, when I don't use it, i can still use the other boostmodule in a pre-position.