Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:28 am 

After finishing the Silver Pony 2 build, everything seem to be working on the first go (LEDs, Pots, drive and boost channels)....EXCEPT for the 3 way switch. When set to position 1 (GE), it's more compressed sounding, so I think that is working correctly. The clipping changes when switched from position 1 (GE) however positions 2 (LED) and 3 (SI) sound exactly the same.

I've tried reflowing every joint and also have been playing around with a signal tester to see if there was anything that sounded strange. I noticed some odd, low end sounds coming from the top legs of the 683 cap and the 10k resistor to the right of it. I also noticed some weird sounds on the top legs of the 4 resistors in the bottom left hand corner of the board (10k, 1M). i tried resoldering these joints, no change,

I also desoldered the switch and oriented it in the opposite direction– no change in functionality.

Any thoughts on how to go about troubleshooting this? I've built over a dozen BYOC pedals, and this is one of the more bizarre issues I've encountered considering the circuit otherwise sounds correct (though there could be other things off with it sonically, I am new to Klons/Klones). What I've tried so far is all based on past troubleshooting experience, no real technical knowledge.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Front and back of board
Attachment:
IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg [ 964.95 KiB | Viewed 2988 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg [ 896.69 KiB | Viewed 2988 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:32 am 

I haven’t built the SP II (I have one of the originals), but I have the Green Pony, which has similar clipping options. At lower gain settings, the impact of clipping structure is very, very subtle (read minimal/nil to my ears). However, once the GP is set to Fat mode and the gain is dialed up, then the clipping comes into play. For the Klon circuit, I wouldn’t be surprised if what you’re experiencing is normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:39 am 

Vincet68 wrote:
At lower gain settings, the impact of clipping structure is very, very subtle (read minimal/nil to my ears). However, once the GP is set to Fat mode and the gain is dialed up, then the clipping comes into play. For the Klon circuit, I wouldn’t be surprised if what you’re experiencing is normal.

^ This. You need to have the gain control dialed up far enough so that the audio signal hitting the diodes exceeds their forward voltage threshold. While that's less than 0.3 V for Ge diodes, for the Si diodes, it's on the order of 0.7V, and is over 2.0V for the red LEDs. Also, the gain pot on this circuit is actually a blend of the buffered dry signal and the overdrive stage, which further "dilutes" the effect of the latter. Try dialing the gain pot up to at least 3 o'clock and see if you can hear the difference then.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Yes. This is normal. You shouldn't hear any difference at all between the 3 settings with the gain all the way down because there's no clipping going on. As you turn up the gain, the difference between the Ge and other 2 settings becomes more obvious. You shouldn't be able to hear much of a difference between Si and LED unless you have the gain all the way up.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:54 am 

Funnily enough, just after I typed this, That Pedal Show released a video with Josh from JHS pedals - and they went into this in great detail. Talk about the universe moving as a single entity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm 

Well, I didn't follow one of my own troubleshooting rules on this one– don't determine it's broken without cranking the volume and gain. Definitely here the difference in clipping. Thanks for the help, y'all.

Can you send a link to that JHS video?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:25 pm 

cornblakes6 wrote:
Can you send a link to that JHS video?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2